Macbook Pro Ram Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hangtyte, Dec 17, 2009.

1. hangtyte macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro Computer. It has 4GB of ram installed in it factory default from apple. I noticed today in my activity monitor that I have 9.3 mb free. I noticed my page in and page out were 1.42GB in / 39.4 mb out. I didn't know if this was normal or if I needed to look into something. My computer has been bottlenecking often while i'm transferring pictures and surfing the web. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

2. newdeal macrumors 68020

I am guessing you have a ton of open programs, if you close some of them you may notice an increase in your system responsivness

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Your page outs are low, so you are probably fine. Also see if Swap Used is low (~50-100mb).

OS X caches stuff in RAM, like recently closed programs so they start faster next time ("inactive RAM" in activity monitor). It will usually release this RAM if something calls for it, but not always. Rebooting will free it up, but if page outs and swap are low, that's not necessary.

Try closing some programs, and make sure you actually quit out of them with command+Q if you won't be using them for a while.

4. hangtyte thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ^^ I was sure it wasn't anything big... I just noticed lately that i've been getting the beachball quite frequently when just watching a movie and doing some transferring files...

5. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Remember that it could also be to do with a hard drive failure, or at least symptoms that it will eventually happen. Hard drives don't normally just fail and get progressively worse. Just make sure you have a back up.