Macbook Pro RAM switch, is this possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BarelakedNadies, Jan 21, 2008.

1. BarelakedNadies macrumors newbie

Hi there.

I've tried searching around to see if this is possible as I'm keen to find out before actually cracking the things open.

I've got an old (broken) macbook pro. It still works but the screen is buggered (ran over it with my car, not pretty).

I was wondering if it was possible to take the RAM chips out of my old one and put them into my new one thus having 4Gb in my new laptop. They are both exactly the same spec. 2.2Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15" etc.

So far, everything i've read leads me to believe that this it would be possible BUT I just watched a video of a guy upgrading his RAM and I noticed that when taking out his original 2Gb, there were 2 x 1Gb. So I'm not sure if I would be able to do it because then i'd have 4 x 1Gb which may not be possible, physically or in terms of compatibility.

It's no biggie if I can't. It'd just be cool to have the extra in their if possible.

Ta very much. Feel free to ask questions if you need help in answering.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

All Intel Macs except the Mac Pro use the same RAM. Take the RAM from the old one and enjoy it in the new one if it's higher capacity.

[embedguide]Understanding_Intel_Mac_RAM[/embedguide]

3. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

If this is factory then both slots are full. So you would have 2 x 1GB in both so you could not. However I think you can send in the extras for cash at www.macsales.com. Can someone else verify this?

4. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, the factory shipped MBP's come with 2 x 1GB Sticks of RAM. Therefore, you would need to sell all 4 1GB sticks and buy 2 x 2GB