MacBook Pro Ram Upgrade.. Are these any good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soapage, May 10, 2010.

1. soapage macrumors member

2. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

seems legit. but i've never bought from that site before so i don't know if it is really compatible. and their prices are low too :eek:

might i also suggest ram from the OWC site or newegg.com
    there have been many good reviews.

also try macramdirect.com as they claim to distribute apple certified RAM

but it's up for you to decide. make sure they offer refunds just in case!

3. soapage thread starter macrumors member

will mac os recognize the 6gigs??

does amazon carry this 4 gig of ram?? i just dont wana buy the wrong one

4. soapage thread starter macrumors member

anyone?

5. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

Well all I kno is that it does support 6gb ram =)
    try using mroogle to search for threads about ram for the mbp

6. soapage thread starter macrumors member

i pulled the trigger and ordered from the website that i posted... i will let everyone know... in case they are

7. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

thats a great price. I was going to hold off going from 4gb to 8gb for atleast 6 months, but at those prices I dont think I can wait that long.

although running win7 in parallels at 2gb doesnt seem to be that much of a performance bottleneck. we'll see when i actually get around to playing a game in parallels

8. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Going to 6GB is rather pointless...as you lose the dual channel speeds. If you upgrade its worth waiting and going directly to 8GB.

I picked up a pair of NEW crucial 8GB sticks of ebay for 315, and sold my stock 4GB sticks for 75!

9. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

A pair of 8GB sticks? Stock 4GB sticks?

10. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

sorry i meant a pair of 4GB and 2GB respectivly

11. iamrawr macrumors 6502

iamrawr

pm me and tell me if they work. they're a steal at those prices

12. soapage thread starter macrumors member

I dont know... 6gb must be better than 4gb I aint that much of a tech wiz. I was planning on setting 2 gigs for win7 64bit and keeping 4 gigs for OS X... what do u thinik???

13. soapage thread starter macrumors member

When parallels ask u how many cores u want to dedicate to windows what did u select?? i out down 2... dont know if parallel recognized the virtual cores

14. Jof macrumors regular

The general advice I've seen on here is:
    assign 1 core for a dual core
    assign 2 cores for a quad core

Etc.

2GB+4GB will probably run faster than 4gb only. Even though you won't benefit from dual channel goodness (you need reasonably well-matched pairs for that) VMs are extremely RAM hungry so will benefit from the extra you've put in; I run a Win and an Ubuntu VM under Parallels and 4GB makes the computer unusable. Am upgrading to 8GB.

15. ExcelonGT macrumors regular

I've assigned 2 procs for win7 in parallels. I could definitely use more ram in windows though. I'm an IT professional working in a Microsoft shop and have a lot of stuff running in my win 7 VM

16. soapage thread starter macrumors member

17. HaterTot macrumors newbie

18. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

These computers have what is called 'Hybrid dual-channel'; essentially the first 2GB of the 4GB module will be in dual-channel mode with the other 2GB module, while the remaining 2GB on the 4GB module will remain single channel.

You only have a performance hit on the upper 2GB (which the extra RAM should negate any consequences as it's still faster than swap).

That's still a 2x2GB kit, which isn't going to be of use to the OP who already has 4GB of RAM.

20. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I know that, I posted that extra link because I know most people are either looking for 4GB kits or 8GB kits, and those were the current cheapest deals.

21. HBOC macrumors 68020

OP, just click on "about this Mac", and then on "more info". Then click on "memory" and it will state what speed/type of memory your computer uses. Mine uses DDR2. I bought crucial. Can't go wrong with Crucial. I got mine from Fry's.

22. Hieu macrumors member

Thanks for posting the extra link! I've been looking for a 4gb kit and I just might buy it. ^_^ :):)

23. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

im probably going to upgrade to an 8gb in the future, definitely a lot cheaper then buying directly from apple (when configuring to buy). Does this void the apple care though? if you upgrade the ram.

24. Stankonia macrumors regular

I might as well put this here instead of making a new thread:

I was thinking about buying additional RAM for my new MBP (from 4 to 8); is it generally recommended to keep the old RAM around? Just in case I ever have to send my MBP in for repairs and it is a problem severe enough to require replacement.

Or would Apple just see that my laptop has 8GB RAM and replace it with another system with 8GB despite the fact that the system I purchased only had 4 when I bought it?

Basically, I am trying to decide if I want to sell my old RAM to make up part of the cost of upgrading to 8GB.

25. HBOC macrumors 68020

^

When i upgraded RAM in my 2.5GHZ, my logicboard went out shortly after i bought the computer. Before they sent it off, i asked them (apple genius) if i needed the 2GB RAM to swap in. They said no, that they had extra laying around incase the repair depot said anything.

I sold my 2GB RAM for $30 last year. That is worth double now.