macbook pro ram upgrade fail :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmac2011, Feb 11, 2011.

1. newmac2011 macrumors newbie

hello everyone,

I am new to the world of mac, and was worried about running into problems but I hope to learn more along the way.

On to my first problem, i brought a macbook pro, 2.4ghz, 4gb, 250gb.

I then got a 8gb corsair ram , CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9.

I have installed one ram module to try and get the mac to boot up, but it starts loading and then the mac crashes.

questions

Does the mac have a bios page? , like on pc

I understand that since my ram is type "DDR3-1333" should my mac just run it at "DDR3-1066" ?

Is that ram i brought usable on a mac?,( i found no reasearch to say it wouldnt, the corsair website simply says compable with intel/amd)

Note: I have checked to see if the ram is mounted firmly into the slot, and tried both modules and then a single module

Thankyou for any help

2. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

Ever heard the phrase "timing is everything?"

The timing on that RAM is wrong.

You need 7-7-7-20, not 9-9-9-24.

3. newmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

To be honest i really dont know what that means, i thought the only things needed to be checked was if the ram was drr, 1/2 or 3 , then just making sure the mhz speed was at least 1066 or faster.

I will look into what these numbers are, my research told me that the mac would just use the mhz at 1066 rather then 1333. I couldnt find a matched 1066 pair of modules so i brought these.

So, I should give up trying with what i have then?

4. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

5. newmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, iv read that

can i just ask is this a mac thing?, i mean i brought laptop ram before and i didnt check the latency speed i just made sure i got ddr2-800 and it worked no issues!

also, i can i ask how to access mac bios?, i want to make sure mine is updated

thankyou for the help

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I think it's just a hardware issue. You likely bought the correct type before and didn't have any issues as a result. I'd recommend just getting 1067MHz, as it's typically cheaper, and buying faster memory won't do you any good when the bus limits it to the slower speed.

Also, Macs don't use BIOS, they instead use EFI, which Apple will send updates for through software update if necessary.

7. skidmarc macrumors member

It's not a "Mac" thing, it is dependent on the logic board/main board/motherboard (hardware) and other factors involved in it's build process. There are tons of different types of memory if you break it down by type and then by spec (speed, ECC, CL, etc.).

Just be careful to check all the specs next time you upgrade or build a system for that matter.

8. newmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

right EFI, i will try and learn about that part :)

i was worried that you wasnt allowed to use normal pc hardware, when i asked that "mac thing", i have brought a 128gb kingston V100 SSD (notebook version)

note : the notebook version is just a usb caddie instead of a desktop bracket 3.5 adaptor

I have to buy a torx 6 screwdriver, it happens to be the only one i dont have out of pack of 10 lol

anyways once i get that i can switch the hdd for the sdd :)

iv thought about using the optibay but i been reading the thread about the ebay alternatives, so i guess il go that route instead.

I just wondered what is the best options for the internal drive bay and also the external caddie, i read the thread but im not sure switch to go for some users report low battery problems while others say they can never get the second drive to stop spinning even when shut down.

any advice on this?

PS: can somebody check that this ram is ok? or advise me of a better one? CM3X4GSD1066

all i need is 8gb, at the best speed possible, but i dont understand it all

thanks again

9. newmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

just a small update the ram is found as a alternative has been used in the macbook pro before and does NOT work according to this user

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=89111

this is for the above metioned CM3X4GSD1066

I asked at a local computer shop why it wouldnt work , but they couldnt say, everything matched up correctly its

DDR3
    1066 mhz
    and correct lantacy timings

if anybody can explain this please help

10. skidmarc macrumors member

I can't tell you what memory I have in my MBP, but it is 1067 @ 4gb/stick. I think I either got it form OWC, NewEgg, or MacMall...it may be Kingston. I can open the MBP in the morning if you gotta know.

The opti-bay HDD cradle (this is internal) I bought from iFixIt to replace the optical drive, the quality is not there...if I had to do it over again I would go with OWC's data doubler even though I have not seen one it looks as though it secures with three screws and not one. I have not had a problem with the drive spinning after shutdown, it's still powered by the laptop.

As far as external drive bays go, get whatever floats your boat, as long as the your HDD/SDD matches the interface and the MBP has the appropriate port you should be fine. Again, I have not had any externally attached drives stay powered on after shutdown in this situation either.

Seems like the latency is wrong on the memory you have listed (CL 7 not CL 6, IIRC).