Macbook Pro ram upgrade issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snppls, Aug 14, 2012.

1. snppls, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

snppls macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I recently installed 16gb of ram in a 2.9ghz macbook pro 13inch (2012). The specifications of the kit I bought are as follows: 16GB KIT DDR3 1600 MHZ PC3 12800 (2X8GB) SODIMM

In "About this Mac" I am told "Your Mac contains 2 memory slots, each of which accepts
    a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module" It seems as if the kit I purchased above meets these parameters.

System Report and all other indicators tell me I only have 8gb of ram installed, rather than 16gb. What could be the issue here?

The only thing I could think of is that the ram is from a rather unknown brand called Knight, although I would have thought it would still be recognized as 16gb.

I'm running Mountain Lion.

Any help would be great appreciated,

snppls

2. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I'd open up your mac again and remove the ram and then put it back in and make sure both are in all the way.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If reseating the memory doesn't work, you may have a bad stick of RAM.

Goto Utilities > System Information and click on "Memory" on the left side. This will show you what your computer sees installed. If one of the slots shows up empty, it's possible that is your bad stick.

4. snppls thread starter macrumors newbie

Both BANK 1/DIMM0 and BANK 0/DIMM0 ram slots are reading as 4GB each with status as OK. I just checked the physical status of each too - they are definitively two 8gb ram cards connected properly.

Why would they show their status as OK if the cards are bad?

Thanks for your help so far,

snppls

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

return them and get better ram, maybe Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, GSkill or Geil all of which have lifetime warranties and are very reputable.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

So it's not reading one 8GB stick and reading nothing for the other...it's reading 4GB for each one, even though they're 8GB sticks?

7. snppls thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it is really odd. They are both 8gb sticks yet they are read by the computer as 4gb each. I really stuck with this one. I have contacted the seller and seeing about its return.

According to Apple the ram limit for mid 2012 13 inch macbook pros is 8gb although many sources state that they are capable of using 16gb. Could this have anything to do with it?

8. g8rduc macrumors newbie

g8rduc

Not sure why you're ignoring people telling you to return them and buy reputable RAM. Defective RAM or cheap sticks will read incorrectly. It has nothing to do with the Apple quoted limitation.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Return the ram as others stated, something is wrong with it. Get something from corsair or crucial.

If your new ram is not correctly registering as 16gb and you made sure the modules are seated properly then something is wrong. There's not much else you can do other then replace the modules

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Return them and get something else. It's been a while since I've seen it happen, but sometimes cheap RAM doesn't show up with the right capacity. Your laptop will definitely work with 16GB of RAM.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This is a stupid question. Many people on here have reported installing 16GB on such models. Some vendors such as Crucial and OWC stock that upgrade and guarantee it will work. The limitation is just that Apple did not certify it, but the information is already out there. It also worked on the 2011 model, yet whenever someone does encounter a problem, they question whether the computer can support it rather than if they bought the wrong thing (or just had bad luck on ram sticks).

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa... 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 (13-inch DDR3) Mid-2012

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

As others have said, there's something wrong with the RAM. It's defective, mislabeled, something. Your computer can take 16GB without a problem. I'd suggest buying a different brand, such as Crucial or Corsair. You just got bad RAM. Any brand will occasionally have faulty RAM, but with a totally unknown brand, there's definitely a higher risk. Return them, get something else and all will be well.

13. snppls thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's help. As I said I have contacted the seller for its return - I wasn't ignoring anyone's suggestions, I was just curious as to why I was having the problem I was. Thank you for the tactful responses.