Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrysippus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
I've just bought a MacBook Pro (mid-2012, 13") and this morning I installed 16GB of RAM in it.

The computer recognizes the RAM and the improvement in performance is obvious. (I edit audio and photos.) There is, however, a new noise at startup. It is just a small click or rattle, and everything appears to be functioning correctly, but obviously I'd prefer either to eliminate it or at least to know what's causing it.

I've recorded and uploaded the sound (just a few seconds long) here, in case anyone wants to hear it: https://soundcloud.com/user617108725/startup-noises

Did I reattach the bottom plate incorrectly? Is a screw loose? Could something be seriously wrong with the machine?

Thanks for any help you can give someone who has recently made the switch to a Mac.

All my best,

--Chrysippus

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Sounds like the SuperDrive to me. More specifically, like a disc is stuck inside it.

Chrysippus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
That just sounds like the optical drive to me.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

It sounds like a routine/standard noise to me; the only reason I'm slightly worried is that the sound didn't happen before I upgraded the RAM. I'm perfectly happy to live with a small noise at startup, but I do want to make sure I didn't damage anything.

All my best,

--Chrysippus

----------

Sounds like the SuperDrive to me. More specifically, like a disc is stuck inside it.

There is no disc in the drive.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks very much for taking the time to help.

It sounds like a routine/standard noise to me; the only reason I'm slightly worried is that the sound didn't happen before I upgraded the RAM. I'm perfectly happy to live with a small noise at startup, but I do want to make sure I didn't damage anything.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.