Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

korimickster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Hey y'all...

I have a 1.83 Macbook Pro and only 512 RAM. I want to buy a gig, but have never upgraded RAM and don't know what to look for or how to do it.

If you could help me, I would appreciate it!

All best,

Corey

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
marissaaa said:
I saw this deal up on outpost.com yesterday:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4789099

Anyone know if it would be compatible with the Macbook Pro?
It is the correct general spec but there is no guarantee one way or another whether it is Mac compatible. You'll also notice that Frys/Outpost makes you write to them by snail mail to find out the warranty on this part :eek:

You are better off ordering from a reputable dealer who tests and guarantees compatibility with your specific model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return (no restocking charge) if it doesn't work.

If you are in the USA, Data Memory Systems has the 1 Gb MacBook Pro guaranteed RAM for $113, so why even consider NewBestOutpostTigerEggFryBuy.com?

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
i found a site that had the warranty and contact information for Patriot. i could probably just go by that warranty info right? or do you think fry's carries their own warranty on it? i don't really mind buying online from them because i go to their physical store all the time.

EDIT: perhaps this needs its own thread (?), even if it's about MBP ram.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
marissaaa said:
i found a site that had the warranty and contact information for Patriot. i could probably just go by that warranty info right? or do you think fry's carries their own warranty on it? i don't really mind buying online from them because i go to their physical store all the time.
You can try it if you don;t mind doing your own testing and taking / sending it back at your expense if it doesn't work. The manufacturer does not guarantee compatibility with your machine, only guarantees against defects in manufacture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.