Macbook Pro RAM upgrade to 3 GB question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyouya, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Kyouya macrumors member

Hello everyone;

On apple website, there are 2 types of RAM. One is 1 GB x1 stick, other is 2GB (2 sticks.)

How am I going to upgrade to 3 GBs then? Computer only has 2 slots. I did a forum search, and found out that "Crucial" RAMs are good for macbook pro but they also don't seem to have a single stick 2GB ram.

Thanks for replies in advance.

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

3. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, thanks for the reply. For some reason Crucial website showed up only 1 GB sticks.

Alot cheaper than Apple website also.

4. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

go to macsales.com. OWC memory is great and probably cheaper than Crucial.

5. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Another question while I am at it..

3 GB total "unmatched" memory will still be better than 2x 1 GB "mathced" memory right?

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

That depends on if you are using most of your RAM as it is. Generally, the answer is yes, but if you have 2gb of RAM and you never use more than 1gb, moving to 3gb won't improve performance. Depending on the model of your MBP you may be able to put 4gb (2x2gb) into it for the most RAM and matched performance. That works on any MBP purchased since June 2007 I believe.

7. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Definitely. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/Macbook_Memory_Benchmarks

Also. If your machine is a newer machine with the Santa Rosa Chipset in it then supports 4GB.

If not it will only recognize 3.3GB. In any event if you can spare the extra $25 you might want to consider getting 4GB even though it won't fully be recognized. Since memory is so cheap right now. $25 for an extra .3GB that is match might not be a bad deal...

8. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately my MBP supports only up to 3 gigs (2.16 Core Duo 2). Reason why I want an upgrade is because after I upgraded to Leopard I've been experiencing serious performance problems, especially during very simple multi tasking. Even safari is very sluggish (at least compared to tiger) when I run it along with photoshop, or other similar programs.

9. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

10. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, 1 gig. Never upgraded this machine before.

11. DocSmitty macrumors regular

In that case you'd have a 2gb module and a 512mb module if you just buy 1x2gb. I'd agree with benlee and say go for a 4gb kit (2x2gb)

I got 4gb of OCZ high performance RAM from newegg.com for under $90

12. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

The computer doesn't necessarily have 2 X 512 because I have a MBP and I had a 1GB stick in it and bought another 1GB stick to upgrade. Check in your "about this mac" by clicking on more info and going to memory to see what you have in your system now.

I recommend this ram to you:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

13. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Whoops, right you are. The 2.16 models did have 1x1gb in them :)

14. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

Allright then, I am going with 2 GB single stick for 3 GB total memory assuming that the performance increase will be more than 2 GB dual channel.

Thanks for replies.

15. Kyouya thread starter macrumors member

I went with a stick of 2 gigs. Now I have 3 gigs of RAM and I am extremely happy. Great performance increase for such a cheap upgrade. 1 gigs wasn't really enough as I had almost 0 Free Memory everytime.