macbook pro ram upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by perlsyntax, Nov 25, 2014.

1. perlsyntax macrumors 6502

Does it matter if i have 4gb of ram for programming or should i upgrade to 16gb I found it for $134.00 on amazon?

2. Zerka macrumors member

I'd get the 16 GB if your budget allows. Not only will 4 GB get tiresome after awhile, you'll need more for the future. With more demanding OSs and apps, you'll be glad if you go for the 16 GB.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

This is, of course, assuming you have a MacBook Pro whose RAM can be upgraded. This is not possible on models with the Retina display.

4. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Some Macs don't accept 16GB. It depends of your programming environment. Eclipse loves doing I/O everytime, so RAM may not help too much. If you like doing experiences, you could set up a RAM cache on your 16GB, so maybe you could get a real improvement using Eclipse. However, Eclipse breaks so easily when you corrupt data, so I don't know if this could be a good thing.

However, if your code needs allocating a lot of RAM, then memory actually helps.

5. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

I was talking about mac os x and iPhone programming.I was told 4gb was good for that but someone told me that be to slow on a i5.

6. leman macrumors 604

7. perlsyntax thread starter macrumors 6502

8. darmr macrumors member

darmr

I upgraded from 4 to 8GB and it was one of the best buys I made for the MacBook Pro.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

4GB is a little tight now a days. It should work, but does it set you up for the future? No, I'd opt for 8GB.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's all relative, depending on what you do. 4GB is plenty for a lot of folks, for others it's unbearably slow.