Macbook Pro RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LukeyBaby93, Mar 11, 2013.

1. LukeyBaby93 macrumors newbie

I have decided to upgrade my RAM on my Macbook Pro I currently have 4GB of RAM and have been looking in to 8GB and 16GB. But would what would you suggest that I go for. I mainly use my Mac for day to day web browsing, Playing games and Video editing.

2. Ledgem, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If you catch sales then the price difference between 8 GB and 16 GB may not be substantial, depending on your budget. 8 GB would likely be fine for you, but more never hurts.

Avoid the "Mac memory" stuff - it's no different than regular RAM, and is just marked up. Don't feel compelled to pay more for your RAM, either. Kingston and Corsair may be favorites among the Mac community, but they can also be on the more expensive side. Companies like OCZ, G.Skill, and GeiL are just as good (if not better, but that's my personal bias) and tend to be cheaper.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

You only need 8GB - but as the previous poster stated the difference between 8 or 16 is very little $$

4. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

5. ianwuk macrumors regular

I have a mid-2010 MBP and I purchased the 8GB kit from OWA. They now say that the same model supports 16GB but Apple states in the manual that 8GB is maximum. Silly question but who is better to trust and it is worth the risk to exceed what Apple has stated as the maximum RAM amount for this model?

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/8566DDR3S16P/

Many thanks.

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Apple's RAM estimates are conservative. In cases where there is a discrepancy, it's usually because Apple tested with the maximum amount of RAM available at the time of the system's release, and they don't update when higher capacity modules come out.

In the case of your system, the MacTracker information lists 8 GB as being the maximum. Their database usually makes note of differences between Apple's stated maximum and the "true" maximum (as achieved by other users), but for the mid-2010 it just says 8 GB is the max. Their database isn't perfect, of course; you can search around to see if anyone with a mid-2010 has 16 GB recognized and accessible.

7. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello Ledgem.

I have not found any information confirming it will work. I ran the memory scanner on the Crucial website and it pointed me to the 8GB kit only. I have contacted OWC for more information on their 16GB upgrade kit also. That program also only points to 8GB max as you have said also so I am not sure if it is worth trying or not.

Many thanks.

ianwuk

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Without knowing which MacBook Pro you have, I cannot say how much RAM is supported, what type, etc.; therefore cannot provide any sound advice.

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Going for less than 16 if your mac can take it is not worth it.

The difference between 8 GB and 16 GB, even in every day apps like web browsing, mail and iphoto is noticeable.

I've just gone from 8 to 16 GB myself (mostly for VMware) but the difference is there even when I'm not running heavy apps - and its more than I expected.

For the price difference, it's not worth faffing about.

10. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Try to find yours on here..

I think that if you Find you MBP on this list, and see what is stated as Maximum RAM, that you will 'almost certainly' be able to trust it.. I have used this site for 25-30 different computers (both MBP and iMac) of 2007-2011 Vintage and never had a single issue with its specs.. Yet.. ;)

Hope it may help!! :apple:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

11. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello.

Looks like it does support 16GB after all after I have read all the signs and information. I have contacted OWC for verification and once they confirm I will most likely upgrade.

Many thanks.

ianwuk

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Although I recommend buying on Amazon over Newegg simply due to Amazon's amazing service and return policy, Newegg offers a best list view for memory.

DDR3 1333MHz 8GB (2 x 4GB) sorted by best rating first.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=3092:47511&PropertyCodeValue=3092:49433

DDR3 1333MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) sorted by best rating first.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=3092:47511&PropertyCodeValue=3092:49433

DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2 x 4GB) sorted by best rating first.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Value=3091:39890&PropertyCodeValue=3092:49472

DDR3 1600MHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) sorted by best rating first.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...alue=3091:193111&PropertyCodeValue=3092:49472

13. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello Orlando.

Thanks very much for the links except, for my mid-2010 MBP, the memory spec is as follows (confirmed compatible by OWC):

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

RAM specs:

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 4 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: 4 GB
    Type: DDR3
    Speed: 1067 MHz

I think it is very hard to find RAM at this speed.

14. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

15. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello Orlando.

I already have 8GB, it is 16GB that I am looking in to and it seems only OWC offers 2 x 8GB modules at the 1066MHz speed I require for my MBP (13-inch, mid-2010).

Thanks.

ianwuk

16. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Oh, than yup. You're right sorry. But you could save the money and just buy 1333MHz and the MBP will scale it down to 1066MHz since thats all the logic board will scale.

17. ianwuk macrumors regular

Hello Orlando.

Actually, with my MBP, I tried 1333 and it failed to boot up. Took out the modules, replaced them with 1066 and it was fine. This was all done in an Apple store when I took it in to first get the RAM upgraded (they only had 1333 modules in stock).

That is why it has been a pain to upgrade the RAM on this MBP, I have to import the RAM as nobody sells it at the 1066 speed where I am.

Thanks.

ianwuk

18. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I'd try another brand of 1333 before I imported from owc.

19. ianwuk macrumors regular

The brand that was tried was Kingston. Would you recommend any others?

Thanks.

20. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Crucial, Corsair, GSkill, Geil are all good reputable brands.

I would go with Crucial or Corsair first. Just make sure its not "value" ram as more users had issues with the cheaper value ram.

More users had success than not according to this thread; https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2726425?start=0&tstart=0

21. ianwuk macrumors regular

Thanks Orlando.

I might just go with OWC and import it seeing as this is the RAM I currently have and I know it to work on that MBP.

22. ianwuk macrumors regular

Just an update.

Thanks to OWC my mid-2010 MBP (13-inch) happily runs 16GB RAM.

Thanks everyone.

ianwuk