Macbook Pro Random shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael13, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Michael13 macrumors member

I have a 2.2 GHZ macbook pro. This is the model before the brand new redesign and before the update in late 2008. This Mac is amazing, however recently I noticed about a month ago that I could not use this on battery like I could when I first got it and up until a month ago. This Mac is about 1.5 years old. The problem is that when I unplug the power adapter to run on battery, the computer just shuts off without any warning after about 20 minutes or less. I timed it a couple times to see if it was a consistent problem. I charged it fully and then unplugged the power adapter and ran a timer. i got 19 minutes, 17 minutes and 21 minutes of power before it died. iStat Pro says that my battery health is 92%, I have 26 cycles, and when i unplug it it says I have like 3.5 hours remaining. This battery is the original battery and has never gave me a problem. It used to read 3.5 remaining and give 3.5 hours until it died. It also gave me a low power warning before it died which it now does not. It shows the power as almost full and then shuts off without warning. I have applecare and am covered but I just wanted to see who else was having this problem and if it was curable by just reinstalling leopard. Thanks for any help.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You need a new battery. I bought my MBP 2.5 a week ago, and it was responding just like yours as you described. They told me that my MBP was DOA (Dead On Arrival) and I could take it back and get a brand new 2.5 if I wanted to, but I had installed my iPhone data, my software, music and videos from iTunes and I just wanted a new battery. Next day the new battery and adapter arrived and my MBP is totally fine. My battery cycle says "0" cycles and I've been operating it on battery power at least twice a day w/o issues...:cool:

3. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

I have the exact same problem on my same vintage mbp. Re-calibrating the battery did not help. What was the solution? Sounds like a new battery is needed, but I'd feel jipped if I had to buy a new battery already.

4. Michael13 thread starter macrumors member

yah i got it fixed finally after months of procrastination i took my time to make an appointment so they can look at it. they said it was a defective battery and they were going to give me a replacement. thanks genius bar!

5. BoricuaFez macrumors newbie

Am having this same problem was well. This is my 1st MBP and I have only had it for 2.5 years and am already getting problems with it, I currently live in Puerto Rico and we don't Apple Stores here only autorized dealers. Am going to Texas this week, might take it to an Genius Bar and get it a tune up, also am having issues with my Superdrive, can't burn CDs and I never use it.

I have a tablet PC as well in which I have had it for abt 5 to 6 years and the only things I have done on that was get a new battery in which I was it had 4 years of use and upgrade the HDD to more storage space and it still runs like new.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure which model you have, but you might try calibrating the battery and resetting the SMC. Instructions for both in the following link. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: