Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Here's the situation:

About two weeks ago, I purchased a (non-Apple) external display for use with my 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo 15" MacBook Pro. I put the computer in clamshell mode, and it was running fine for several days. Then one day, while I was editing a photo, it hung for a second, I received the beach ball, and it logged out (of all things!) I've heard of people having an issue where their Mac logs them out after a period of inactivity, but that wasn't the case; I was actually using the computer when it did this. I relogged in, got everything reopened, and work continued for a few more days. Then today, I was editing a Word document, when the same thing happened. I thought heat might be the culprit, so I've opened the laptop's display, but even now with it practically at idle (only things running are FireFox, Word, iTunes and iChat, with none of them really doing anything), the CPU is at 169º and the fans are spinning at 3.5k RPM (2k is normal). Any ideas as to what could be going on? I did a search before posting, but I couldn't find anything like this. Is this a common problem, or am I the only one? Is it an issue with the computer, the monitor, clamshell mode...? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
ive been having this running a unibody macbook pro 15" 2.4ghz 2gb running 10.6.1

i was editing in iphoto and running itunes..just randomly logged out.

sometimes i just restarts my finder and closes all applications...really made no sense and no log files.

no excess components, external displays or anythiing out of the ordinary...temps were fine as well..

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
ive been having this running a unibody macbook pro 15" 2.4ghz 2gb running 10.6.1

i was editing in iphoto and running itunes..just randomly logged out.

sometimes i just restarts my finder and closes all applications...really made no sense and no log files.

no excess components, external displays or anythiing out of the ordinary...temps were fine as well..

Perhaps it's a 10.6.1 bug then? Though if memory serves, I was still on 10.6.0 when the problem occurred the first time. So maybe it's got something to do with SL. Never happened to me before on Leopard.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Perhaps it's a 10.6.1 bug then? Though if memory serves, I was still on 10.6.0 when the problem occurred the first time. So maybe it's got something to do with SL. Never happened to me before on Leopard.

neither for me...its only happening on Snow Leopard

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I had that happen to me and I was accidentally unplugging the computer's power adapter. Didn't realize it for a while either. Dumb me....:rolleyes:

Are you sure those two are related? I don't see how unplugging it could cause it to log out, plus mine was plugged in the entire time.

Though now that you mention it, I suppose it could have something to do with the battery. My battery is practically shot (~30 minutes left) and I know MBPs like to draw power from the batteries when doing intensive tasks. Anyone else think this could be it?

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I'm positive & serious. When using the ext. monitor the power adapter/charger needs to be connected to the MBP.

Does it shut off/logout on its own any other time?

I'm saying it was always connected. I've never run the computer in clamshell mode without the power adapter connected. It's never done this before, but I upgraded to 10.6.1 (which I think may be causing the problem) shortly after I bought a display and decided to leave it in clamshell mode the entire time, so I'm really not sure what the problem is. If it does it again I'll disconnect it and use it normally and see if the problem persists.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
Hehe, little did I know it was a known problem that was (or at least is said to have been) fixed in 10.6.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.