Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeBusch2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I've had a problem for a few months, probably since installing Ventura, where my MacBook (2022 14" M1 Pro) will randomly kick me back to the login screen, stating "Your password is required to enable Touch ID". Upon doing so, I'll get the spinning wheel beneath my profile picture and username. The cursor will then turn into a beachball and it will sit there indefinitely.

I probably just need to bite the bullet and reinstall Mac OS, but I'm curious if anyone else has had similar issues and knows of a less destructive fix.

Thanks!

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I have not had this problem, but it really sounds annoying! Yes, I'd try reinstalling macOS. But can you at least log in once and do Erase All Content and Settings? That's the "proper" way on T2 and M1 Macs.

MikeBusch2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Yeah, it's annoying, and when it's hung like this, all I can do is give it the finger to power it off.

I don't think the OS realizes it hung, either. I don't get prompted to send a report to Apple when I power it back on.

rm5

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Yeah, going to have to do it the "old fashioned way" I guess, through Recovery. Do you need help with that at all?

MikeBusch2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
Nope, I'm good. I saw the light and became a Mac convert back in 2010. Thanks for the offer, though!

MikeBusch2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2012
A reinstall appears to have worked. I haven't had the issue for a couple of weeks, now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.