MacBook Pro Randomly Shuts Down - Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elt28, Mar 15, 2009.

1. elt28 macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro randomly shuts down on me. This happens whether it is charged/plugged in or running off the battery.

I took it into an Apple store a few days ago and they said that all the diagnostics were good, but they would watch it for a few days and let me know if they find anything. They told me they found nothing and that it never shut down on them.

I picked it up a few hours ago from the Apple store and it has already shut down on me once, I was just browsing the internet. I am pretty upset. My Apple Care Plan ends in a little over 3 months and I am worried the problem will persist/get worse and I will end up with a dead laptop.

Any suggestions?!

EDIT: I recently bought a new power cord because the other one melted, but the problem was occuring before the new power cord and is continuing with the new power cord.

Also, the battery is fairly new (less than a year old), so I doubt it is a battery problem, especially since it happens even when the laptop is plugged in.

2. scuzy macrumors member

Mine did the same thing. I reinstall OSX and it's been good with no issues. But i already sold the laptop so i can get the newer unibody macbook pro.

3. elt28 thread starter macrumors newbie

I might need to give that a try. I am pretty mad about it because the Apple people claim they left the laptop on for the entire time that they had it and it never shut down, which I find very hard to believe, they had it for more than 3 days. And within a few hours of getting it home from the Apple store, it shuts down on me.

With only a few months left on my Apple Care plan, I am getting nervous.

4. scuzy macrumors member

i noticed that in the log it's when there is a kernel panic and the mac just shuts down. So i assume it halted something. But I don't know for sure.

5. James Cole macrumors 6502

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Not necessarily true, if a kernel panic does occur, it notifies the user - it doesn't conceal itself like that.

7. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

I had the same problem. Apple told me to send it to them and they sent it back in a week with a new logic board installed.