MacBook Pro randomly won't reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldy315, May 14, 2015.

1. caldy315 macrumors member

I have been trying to understand this issue for a couple weeks now. I put a new copy of Yosemite on an old (wiped) hard drive and it loads and operates normally on a 2.4GHz 13" 2010. But then you'll let it sit, or restart it after something happens where it needs to be restarted and it just hangs on the Apple boot screen. At first I thought it was depending on the wifi as I noticed one time when I turned the wifi on and then turned the computer off, tried to open and log in, but it wouldn't get past the Apple logo and about 1/4 - 1/3 of the loading bar. Every time I would turn off and on it would do this, so I would just reformat the hard drive on a different computer then reinstall yosemite again and it'd work for awhile and eventually does the same thing, but maybe a different circumstance.

I'm starting to think it's the hard drive, but not really sure on how to diagnose this problem of after being shut down, not being able to restart again. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I like it when my computer doesn't reboot randomly.

If you think it's the drive, do you have an external you can install the OS on and boot from that?

3. caldy315 thread starter macrumors member

Good catch. I guess I can't blame it on Monday morning. I'll have to get another drive I'm thinking, I have an enclosure but the drive in there is full of storage items.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

5. caldy315 thread starter macrumors member

I'll have to take a gander and see. Likely just buy a small ssd and see how that works.

I'll try through an enclosure first and see how that works for a week or so. That should eliminate the drive being bad. Otherwise I guess maybe logic board