Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
For about 4 months my CD/DVD drive on my 17-inch MacBook Pro rattles. It's quite loud and it happens if:
- I insert a CD into the drive; it rattles until it has stopped being spun.
- I insert a DVD into the drive; it rattles until I load DVD Player.
- I want to burn a CD or DVD; the rattling is very loud.

It almost sounds like the CD/DVD is rubbing up against something, but that can't be - none of the CD/DVDs have any evidence of damage. I believe something is bent or mangled inside the drive and has come loose or something.

I have a backup iMac to burn my CD/DVDs - so this problem is not urgent at this time.

thumbnut

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Hi, I know this is an old post, but I am also experiencing this problem and do not have a warranty left (Macbook model number A1278).

The CD drive rattles whilst a CD is loading, and stops intermittently but starts up again every time the CD spins more(?). It sounds like a metallic rattle, like something very small is loose in the drive. I can also hear the noise if I tilt the Macbook from side to side. I've opened up the back and cleaned out any obvious debris/dust from the outside of the drive but this hasn't helped.

Any advice? Is there any way to check inside the CD drive without destroying it!?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
As above, I'm having the same problem and a quick forum search led me here. I have a 4 year old White iMac. Every time I insert a disc it rattles like mad and sounds like it's rubbing against something.

For some reason it won't let me burn a 1x using DVD2ONEX either. If I try it fails and spits the disc out yet will work at 2x. Having to create images with DVD2ONE and burn at 1x with Disk Utility.

Every time the disc speeds up or slows down it makes some really mad noises. Need to resolve this as I'll struggle to sell it with this problem and they're still fetching several hundred quid on eBay for my model.

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
As above, I'm having the same problem and a quick forum search led me here. I have a 4 year old White iMac. Every time I insert a disc it rattles like mad and sounds like it's rubbing against something.

For some reason it won't let me burn a 1x using DVD2ONEX either. If I try it fails and spits the disc out yet will work at 2x. Having to create images with DVD2ONE and burn at 1x with Disk Utility.

Every time the disc speeds up or slows down it makes some really mad noises. Need to resolve this as I'll struggle to sell it with this problem and they're still fetching several hundred quid on eBay for my model.

My solution was having the drive replaced. There wasn't anything else I could do.

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
My solution was having the drive replaced. There wasn't anything else I could do.

Is that even possible with an iMac. Even if it is it sounds expensive.

It's getting worse now. Just watching a DVD and if I pause it, after resuming it rattles like crazy then jumps to a random point in the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.