Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
So I have had my MacBook Pro just over a month. I have been using coconutBattery 2.5.1 to collect data about the mAh capacity and how much this is decreasing. I figure I should be able to get 700 - 1000 battery loadcycles out of this battery before I need to get it replaced. I will be buying AppleCare as I need this computer to last through college (3 years). Maybe just before AppleCare expires I will be able to get a new battery through the system.

Currently the machine has done 27 battery loadcycles and its 3 months old (I got it refurb-ish (long story). The original battery capacity was 5500 mAh but it is currently at 5518 mAh - this doesn't make sence to me so if someone could explain then that would be great.

Anyway, using excel I collected the data from coconutBattery and put it into a nice graph for you guys.

attachment.php

Obviously this shows the capacity going down, I presume this is at a steady rate and nothing out of the ordinary, but how can my batteries capacity be MORE than its original shipped capacity - normal???

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
My G4 17" PowerBook was a good few hundred mAh over its 'original' capacity. I wondered if this was normal too, but I haven't experienced any problems.

95% of 'original' battery capacity left on mine, btw.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
So does anyone else have a MacBook Pro? Whats the age (in months) and the capacity of your battery, mAh and % please. Also load cycles as well would be a help, nice to compare data with you guys.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
blueflame said:
i have a macbook for less than a week, it is already at 5118 of 5200, waht the hell

:eek:

That's pretty insane, how many battery cycles you been through? If I were you I would definately start monitoring that data, you may find that if you use it for a couple of days plugged in then the capacity will shoot back up to around 5200 - thats what I did and it seemed to be ok. It does seem strange though, keep an eye on that.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
generik said:
Applecare does not cover batteries.

Ouch, that's a bummer. :( Dam, your probably right. I remember hearing someone going to an Apple Store to get a new battery for his iBook but he probably paid for it. Oh well, as long as mine lasts three years its all good.

HardLine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2006
All batteries decay like that, nothing new.

Besides batteries are much cheaper than entire notebooks so if I were you I would swap out your battery when it starts becomg a problem for you.

I have a thinkpad with 2 batteries that got about 10 hours when I got it brand spanking new. 2 years later I only get about 7.5 hours. i had my laptop die on me once, but that's because i took it on vacation and forgot the charger.

what i'm trying to say is, don't be anal about things like this. batteries naturally decay, when the battery life starts becoming a problem for you then replace your battery.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
Well, I'm on my second battery in my week 8 MBP. The first battery died after about 60 cycles, it suddenly lost capacity and started warping out of the case. AppleCare replaced it though.
Anyway, after 14 cycles I'm currently on 5518 mAh, 100%. But it does go up and down a bit each time it's charged, and usually up when it's calibrated.

i have a macbook for less than a week, it is already at 5118 of 5200, waht the hell

I have to agree that you should try and calibrate it, I wouldn't really worry about it unless it suddenly drops radically in charge. If it's bad, you'll notice and they'll send you a new one. Don't worry about small fluctuations.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
Is it better to have the laptop plugged in as much as possible? Does this save battery life, or will the battery still looes its cap?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Just curious, do you guys remove the battery when your laptop is connected to AC power? Virtually all my friends do that, although I've read somewhere else that you might actually be doing more harm than good through that.

Any definitive answers?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Original battery capacity - 5500 mAh
Current battery capacity - 5346 mAh

Battery loadcycles - 65
Age of your Mac - 4 months

Looks like i have the biggest battery here :D

HardLine

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2006
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery#Guidelines_for_prolonging_Li-ion_battery_life

* Unlike NiCad batteries or NiMH batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Never use the battery care functions some cellular phones provide for nickel based batteries. (This will deep cycle the batteries.)
* Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. Keeping them in very hot cars can kill lithium-ion batteries.
* Avoid running the battery through "deep discharge" cycles — that is using it until it's fully depleted to 0 %.
* Many authors suggest that freezing Li-ion batteries may be detrimental. However, most Li-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately -40 °C. Household freezers rarely reach below -20°C. Published experiments demonstrate that freezing (even below -40°C) is unharmful if the battery is fully warmed to room temperature before use. More details are given in the book "Characteristics and Behavior of 1M LiPF6 1EC:1DMC Electrolyte at Low Temperatures" by L.M. Cristo, T. B. Atwater, U.S. Army Research, Fort Monmouth, NJ.
* Buy Li-ion batteries only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.
* When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, it is advisable to remove the battery and store it in a cool place. However, check the manufacturer's instructions before removing the battery. Many laptop manufacturers recommend against removing the battery from a laptop while it is plugged in, as this can damage a laptop designed to operate with the battery installed. Some manufacturers are also concerned about dust accumulation with the battery removed.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
generik said:
Just curious, do you guys remove the battery when your laptop is connected to AC power? Virtually all my friends do that, although I've read somewhere else that you might actually be doing more harm than good through that.

Any definitive answers?

I never remove the battery, and I don't think it matters. When it's charged and the computer is plugged in, it is not used, it just rests. That would then make no difference from it being there or sitting on the desk.
Also, when you take the battery out, for some reason the CoreDuo just sits at 1000 Mhz.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
NJuul said:
I never remove the battery, and I don't think it matters. When it's charged and the computer is plugged in, it is not used, it just rests.

I totally agree...but i wonder...

How long do these batteries keep charge when not in use inside the computer? I know my macbook on sleep and not plugged in loses charge by about 1% ever 2 - 3 hours. I guess it wouldnt be as much when the battery is in the computer but it probably wouldnt be worth me taking out the battery when I am plugging in the computer - way too much hassle.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
"Buy Li-ion batteries only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured."

So it is not a good idea to buy a 2nd battery as a spare I suppose?

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
generik said:
So it is not a good idea to buy a 2nd battery as a spare I suppose?

That would depend on the amount you need to use the spare battery. If you are rarely out of reach of a power socket then there is no need but if you went camping or flying on a plane or something on a very regular basis where there was no power socket and you needed power for longer than 2 or 3 hours then a 2nd battery would be useful.

Personally, a 2nd battery is not at all useful. I would rather carry around my second hard drive (external, western digital, 120gb, usb powered, same size as a battery) and I find this much more useful.

Each to their own I guess.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
What I really wonder is if there is some sort of nifty adaptor that'd allow you to work your MBP off car batteries, or even with the appropriate accessories rechargerable AA batteries.

It'd probably have to do some stuff to the power to get it to the right voltage and smooth out the fluctuations, but that'd be so handy to have.

eddx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
generik said:
What I really wonder is if there is some sort of nifty adaptor that'd allow you to work your MBP off car batteries, or even with the appropriate accessories rechargerable AA batteries.

It'd probably have to do some stuff to the power to get it to the right voltage and smooth out the fluctuations, but that'd be so handy to have.

How would that be handy to have? Carrying around dozens of AA batteries defeats the point of a portable computer...carrying around a car battery even worse and using a car battery in a car would probably drain the power so much the car wouldnt start! I surpose it could have its uses but not for the majority of people, no?

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
generik said:

Any definitive answers?

I do that, not sure if there is a definitive answer whether it is detrimental to do so or not. When i charged my battery to full and had my MBP plugged in, when i checked in the About Mac, it showed the battery's power depleting (contrary to what some have posted). Thus, i took it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.