Macbook pro + rebates or wait for a price drop??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SGrant, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. SGrant macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #1
    Just looking for some help on what I should do:

    My estimated budget at the moment is $1,500 for my new laptop (for university).

    So I could get the 15 inch 2.4GHz MBP + a pinter and ipod touch then sell the later two for a total of $1,600. This relies on someone willing to pay close to full price for the printer and ipod.

    Or

    I could wait for a MBP update and hopefully get one of the current ones on sale. Hopefully by December!

    I'd really appreciate some opinions as I'm really inexperienced when it comes to computers especially macs (this will be my first). :eek:

    Edit: or maybe I could get a refurbished 17" MBP + the printer?:confused:
     
  2. rvrugg90 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #2
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I have said this in another post, but this relates so here: I am buying on tax-free day. Going to get the printer/ipod. Ebay tends to have them going near full price. So I can expect over 300 for both combined. After student discount of MBP to 2300ish... it comes out to 2 grand ish. From looking at used MBP's Mid-Range 2.5 and 200GB hd along w/ 4g ram, it seems i could expect to get this back after selling. So, say a new model comes out...depending on how I like it, I can choose to sell and either break-even or small profit and then put up the rest for a new refreshed/redesigned/whatever'd MBP. Hope your deal goes through smoothly. I'll tell you how mine works out next week when I get the laptop.
     
  3. SGrant thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #3
    Thanks for the reply. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

    You are looking at how much used 2.5s with 4gm ram are selling for.. does this mean that you plan on upgrading your 2.5 to 4gm ram (200 dollars)?

    Do you think it would be worth it to get the 2.5 instead of the 2.4 if I only plan on using the laptop for typical school work and movies?

    Also, one more thing, what is tax free day? I wonder if they have that on the Canadian website. :O

    Hope everything works out well for you!
     
  4. rvrugg90 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #4
    1) Yes, but no. Upgrade the ram to 4 GB but do not do it through Apple. They charge $200 as you know. The ram can be bought at crucial,newegg,etc online for much, much less. less than $100 shipped I imagine. Ram is extremely easy to install,even for someone who isnt a tech person. Search youtube for videos if you are uncomfortable. But it basically consists of removing battery, pulling out old, putting in new. (5 minute job).

    2) Honestly, Im not an expert on speeds and processors,etc. But I do know that the jump from 2.4-2.5 comes with an okay boost. I have read that jumping from 2.5 to 2.6 offers less of a boost. The 2.4 has 3 MB L2 Cache, while the 2.5 is 6MB L2 and obviously slightly faster processor speed. You will have to ask another member about what this truly means, but Im pretty sure it would be worth it if you have the extra cash. If not, You will be more than happy with the 2.4. Either way, get the 4GB of ram....such an easy and worthwhile upgrade.

    3) Tax free Weekend here in North Carolina is this weekend. So I am planning on saving $189.00 on my MBP by buying august 1st (this friday)! Yay. Hope this helps out a little. Good Luck to you as well. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll answer if i feel qualified enough haha.
     
  5. SGrant thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #5
    Thanks for the elaboration. The ram upgrade sounds like something I could get someone I know to help with.

    I still have a while to think about which MBP I want to get so I will keep your advice in mind.

    As for the tax free weekend deal, I take it you are purchasing yours from a physical store? In this case, how would you get the student discount?

    Thanks again for your help. :)
     
  6. rvrugg90 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #6
    Actually Im purchasing online. It should exclude me automatically once I put in the shipping info. (I HOPE) Either way, I think you can get the student discount in the store as well...not sure, but it would make sense. If i cant get the tax deducted, I may just buy an older one or a new HP DV5t middle-range *but better spec'd and cheaper than MBP* until the new one has proven itself.
     
  7. SGrant thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #7
    Oh, that would be convenient. Buying at stores is so intrusive, I find. I'm even more excited to see if it works out for you, now.

    Originally, I had planned on getting a Dell or Asus. I think a Dell is more what I need since I don't do any "real" computer/graphics work. But I figure if I can get a discount on the mac, it'll only be a few hundred dollars more, maybe less than that.
     
  8. iTabone macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #8
    What rebates are available right now? I already have the student discount. Is it possible to even lower down the price some more?
     
  9. SGrant thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #9
    I don't think the price can be lowered anymore than that unless you can get ahold of a coupon code. I've posted in the coupon thread, not sure if anyone else got a reply though.

    http://www.apple.com/promo/

    ^Here are the current promotions/rebates available. Good luck. :)
     
  10. rvrugg90 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2008
    #10
    yeah I posted in that thread as well. I think yesterday. No replies, i dont expect to get any as it seems like not many people check out that thread. No other deals going on right now. Check Macmall.com or amazon...pretty snazzy prices if you dont want the IPOD deal or to Customize the MBP...
     
  11. SGrant thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #11
    Can you still get Apple care/ warranty and all that at macmall?

    Seems like getting one there would save about $100 dollars + the hassle of trying to resell things.
     

Share This Page