Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yolatechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Sorry if this issue has been covered, but i only heard this news yesterday and need a bit of advice...

I bought my macbook pro in Nov 2011. In Nov 2014 it suddenly died. I brought it to a repair shop and they said it was the graphics card. They replaced it, but only gave me a 3 month warantee. It just broke again.

I was planning to buy a secondhand machine and sell this one for parts, but when I called a secondhand dealer he told me about the recall. He said that in order to get the machine repaired I would need to make sure it looked like it hadnt been tampered with and i should bring it into him to be serviced for £75... (approx $120).

I have two questions -

Firstly, it says on the apple site that they only repair machines that have been bought within 3 years... which puts mine out of date. Do apple enforce this?

Secondly, would apple be able to tell that i already got the graphics card replaced? If so, should i go for this reservice?

Thanks for your time!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Sorry if this issue has been covered, but i only heard this news yesterday and need a bit of advice...

I bought my macbook pro in Nov 2011. In Nov 2014 it suddenly died. I brought it to a repair shop and they said it was the graphics card. They replaced it, but only gave me a 3 month warantee. It just broke again.

I was planning to buy a secondhand machine and sell this one for parts, but when I called a secondhand dealer he told me about the recall. He said that in order to get the machine repaired I would need to make sure it looked like it hadnt been tampered with and i should bring it into him to be serviced for £75... (approx $120).

I have two questions -

Firstly, it says on the apple site that they only repair machines that have been bought within 3 years... which puts mine out of date. Do apple enforce this?

Secondly, would apple be able to tell that i already got the graphics card replaced? If so, should i go for this reservice?

Thanks for your time!

I would take it back into the store and have them look at it again. Apple is pretty good at supporting problems and they probably will do something to satisfy the situation. Go back to the store and find out what they will do for you. That is what I would do.

yolatechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for your replies.

I didnt see anyone with the same issue as me - having had the graphics card replaced by a non-Apple provider, and now im having someone tell me that i need to get the machine serviced or Apple wont fix the issue...

Anyone got a hunch on what i should do?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for your replies.

I didnt see anyone with the same issue as me - having had the graphics card replaced by a non-Apple provider, and now im having someone tell me that i need to get the machine serviced or Apple wont fix the issue...

Anyone got a hunch on what i should do?

If the place where you got your computer fixed is an authorized Apple service provider, you should be able to take your computer to a Apple Store and have them look at it. My experience with Apple has always been great. The part should not have failed within 6 months, just let Apple service know how inconvient the situation has been for you.

bookwormsy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Take it to Apple and see what they say. I had a Macbook that was obviously opened (used) that they repaired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.