Macbook pro recall possible?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pageday, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pageday macrumors newbie

Nvidia Inc was confirmed the defect of 8600/8400 graphic chip over heating problem. Some of the manufactures such as HP planned to recall the defective product. Any chance apple recall it too?

2. pageday thread starter macrumors newbie

reason?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Steve Jobs himself (and therefore Apple) says the GPUs are fine. nVidia has also not admitted to the GPU failure.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Highly unlikely, since the Nvidia problem isn't an immediate safety issue like the Notebook Battery was.

It isn't going to explode, catch on fire, etc.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I haven't heard anything about an HP recall......as far as I know they've issued a "patch" that keeps the fan on all the time (along w/ Dell).

6. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

I'm sure that apple will fix any issue you have with it. from what i have herd they are pretty good about that kind of thing

7. helimx macrumors newbie

I don't know anything about a battery recall... how do I find out if my battery is part of the recall?
    thanks

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

http://www.apple.com/support/ Bottom right...

Not a recall, just a way to handle the batteries from the tainted batch that was in the news a while ago.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Even if HP, Dell, Asus, Acer etc ordered a recall on all the affected nvidea GPU based laptops, I doubt apple would follow suit, they'd probably claim the GPUs they used were custom jobs that aren't affected, it would take a class action lawsuit for them to do a recall.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. Apple have (thus far) clearly decided to deal with this on an individual basis, which would hopefully negate any possible class action. If you are still under warranty, or have Applecare, you will be covered for a replacement/repair should the nVidia go pear-shaped. However, the only possible difficulty may lie in the fact that Apple most likely would replace them with something similar. Having said that, warranties/AppleCare will cover it.
    Cheers

11. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

12. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Notebook battery recall, which I am participating in right now (just bought a powerbook with a recalled batt)

13. ajhaji macrumors regular

My MacBook Pro just started having GPU problems yesterday. When I turn on the computer I get no video at all, but the Mac boots fine and I can access it over the network.

If I play with the laptop for an hour or so, removing/inserting the battery and rebooting a bunch of times, I can eventually get it to show video. But it's a pain in the butt.

I'm probably going to wait for Apple to update the MBP, then I'll just buy the new one and repair/resell my current one. Once Apple starts seeing these things come in for repair en masse, they'll probably do something about it. But until then, they won't do anything.

14. rolex54 macrumors 6502

ibook logic board recall also

15. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

You might see a recall in a few years...if the failure rate for certain MBP models is very high, somebody will do/say something.