Macbook Pro recently purchased, looking to upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evman101, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Evman101 macrumors member

Hi,

I've never posted on these forums before, but have been viewing them since I bought my Macbook Pro about a month ago.

I'm obviously really frustrated now that the update has been released (something I wish I had known was coming before I purchased). I'm a high school senior going to college in the fall specifically for film. I bought my MBP built to order and maxed out a lot of settings b/c I got a fairly generous gift card from my dad b/c he won it in a contest at work.

I have the Macbook Pro 15.4 Inch with:
    2.6 Intel Core 2 Duo
    200gb Hard Drive @7200 RPM
    2GB RAM
    256MB Video RAM

I have two questions really.

I bought my MBP on 1/18/08 from the online store and received it on 1/24/08. Is there any option of me being able to return it and buy a new MBP or exchange it for a new one? I'm not familiar with Apple's policies on this.

Secondly, would it really be worth it for me? I'm really in it for the upgraded Video RAM, b/c I want that to be as future proof as possible since I'm going into film/tv and want to keep my laptop all through college. I don't want the video capabilities to grow outdated if I can easily help it. Also, is there a way to upgrade Video RAM manually like you can regular RAM?

Multitouch isn't that important to me right now, but I'm also aware that Apple is moving in this touch direction, and having a multi-touch trackpad will also add some future proofness to my computer incase upcoming Apple products within the next 4-5 years greatly incorporate this feature.

Obviously I'm pretty miffed right now, and I wish I had waited, but all I want to know is if it's easy/worth it to upgrade right now. Buying a machine and one month later having it outdated is a little different than having it outdated in a standard 6-8 month life cycle.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

keep the one you have its absolutely fine

you cant return to apple anyone they have a 14 day policy

video ram dosent mean a thing unless you are using a hi-res display or extra texture heavy gaming or something like that

3. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

With a one month past and BTO, you are stuck with your unit...your incredibly fast awesome unit that makes me drool. There is always something new on the horizon.

Consider Applecare to "future proof" your MBP. Protect your investment with a good case, proper usage (read liquid proximity), and do not expect others to respect your property.

4. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Okay, well I suppose my main question is now - can I upgrade Video RAM manually?

5. Knolly macrumors 6502a

What in god's name are you doing that you need an extra bit of VRam for? Twice as much VRAM =/= twice the video processing power.

And unless I'm mistaken, the VRAM is on the main logic board, so to upgrade that, you would need to buy a new logic board which, if bought separately, will run you in the neighborhood of $1000-1500.

6. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

You're gonna have to keep your BTO system. You won't be able to return it. I know you're probably upset but the reality is that updates were widely expected for several weeks.

You have an amazing machine. Enjoy it!

7. GCY macrumors regular

Ur model is the same as the current base model. These no need to upgrade expect maybe for better battery life and lower temperature on the MBP

8. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Alright, looks like next time I'll have to do a little more research before buying (got the amazing gift card and had to use it kinda quickly).

9. dmb3886 macrumors regular

i would also recommend one of those fan mats that you put under the laptop

heat = a computers WORST enemy

10. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Well, as I said, I'm pursuing film as a career. Who knows what the next gen Final Cut Pro and the likes will demand of my system?

My MBP usually gets very hot, shame I can't enjoy the benefits of a cooler (literally :p) computer, improved battery life, and what will likely become a runaway necessity - multitouch.

I also read somewhere that the Penryn Processor can encode video a lot faster/better? Is there any truth to this?

I might consider ebaying my computer in the summer when/if more major updates are made to the MBP line.