Macbook Pro Recommendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Apr 17, 2019.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Dear all,

I was wondering what your thoughts were for a new purchase, been a long time!

I am thinking of a 13" macbook pro. Question is which one over the last few years would give the most bang for the buck. Budget is flexible but around $2000, preferably less.

It would be used for 3D modeling using bootcamp, photography, and hooking up to a larger monitor for writing and other academic uses. The hard drive would need to be pretty large, at least 500gb. I can pass on the touchbar. Would prefer 16gb of RAM...

Would the fastest 13" macbook pro without a touchbar be the best bang for the buck? Or should i get the current mid range 13" macbook pro?

Thanks for any advice!
    Richard

2. jmiddel macrumors regular

Macbook Pro13" (2.3GHz 16GB 512GB) comes in at $1899.00

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Where? Apple says 2199

4. jaduff46 macrumors 6502

jaduff46

According to the Buyer’s guide, the MBP should be getting a refresh soon. Also note that the non-TB 13” was not upgraded spec-wise last fall, which is why I’m holding off until the next refresh/upgrade.

Kids have all had MBPs over the years and love them!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your defined tasks are such that the quad core touch bar model would be the best fit.

As other stated, many people are hoping that we'll see a refresh to the models at WWDC, which is a mere two months away. If you can hold off until June, you may be better off.

6. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

I would recommend waiting. The new 2018 models are great in terms of power, but the Touch Bar is quite bothersome. If they update the nTB model with a quad core processor, it might be just what you're looking for.