Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys.

Am rebuilding my room, have a clean new white ikea desk and a Retina Macbook Pro complimenting the clean look.

I am now on the look out for some eye pleasing, airplay capable, great sounding, 'small-ish' speakers to sit in my desk.

Can be either a single unit, or multiple speakers.

Can anyone recommend me any? Do you guys use external speakers with your macbook pro/airplay?

Thanks a lot :D

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
I have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified, and it is AMAZING!

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the airplay part.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I did research on AirPlay speakers for our living room. One of the top is Altec Lancing InAir 5000. I found it on Amazon for $250. For that price point I could purchase 2 of them compared to one B&W Zeppelin.

I am very happy with the 5000 doing airplay.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
How much money do you have to spend? The range of Airplay speakers goes from about $250USD to $1500 USD
I'd say around $500USD would be my limit :)

I have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified, and it is AMAZING!

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the airplay part.

no worries, although the sound is pretty amazing apparently, i really need (want) the airplay :)

I did research on AirPlay speakers for our living room. One of the top is Altec Lancing InAir 5000. I found it on Amazon for $250. For that price point I could purchase 2 of them compared to one B&W Zeppelin.

I am very happy with the 5000 doing airplay.

WOW. those are amazing. i will try and find some on ebay. Does the airplay signal ever drop out for you?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I'd say around $500USD would be my limit :)

no worries, although the sound is pretty amazing apparently, i really need (want) the airplay :)

WOW. those are amazing. i will try and find some on ebay. Does the airplay signal ever drop out for you?
Another option would be to buy whichever set of speaker you prefer, and hook them up to an Airport Express or Apple TV.

The Airport Express could act as a repeater for your home network and extend it's range somewhat, while still giving you the Airplay capability you seek.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Does the airplay signal ever drop out for you?

The Time Capsule and 5000 speakers are oppose ends of the house. So that I have good airplay and coverage for iphones and iPads, I use one of the new Airport Express units high on a shelf to extend the Time Capsule network. The Time Capsule is also high on a shelf. They report their connection to each other as excellent. So I don't know if the 5000 is hearing a direct broadcast from the Time Capsule or repeated via Express....but it works with virtually no dropouts. I will not say there are zero dropouts. We are very happy with the cost and performance.

From the Express you can do an analog out to powered speakers. There is also a digital optic output available if have a stereo receiver or other device to take a digital input. I highly recommend the new Express units to extend networks, hook up speakers, do remote printing, and even deliver a remote ethernet connection.

Airport express and Logitech Z553s - i absolutely love these speakers, the design is very suave, sleek, and the sound is truly breathtaking (for the price).

Will buy another pair to go with my mac pro (when it is finally released).

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.