Macbook pro redesign anytime soon ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vslo, Jul 10, 2010.

1. vslo macrumors regular

Hi,
    I am about to buy a 15"macbook pro. The actual design is the best ever. It is just perfect in EVERY aspect. I hardly doubt that Apple can do a better job than that in redesigning it, but Apple always surprises me. I am concerned that I buy it now and in late 2010/early 2011 the MBP line get a redesign. Is there any guess about it ? Maybe in mid 2011 ?

2. DMBGuru macrumors regular

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Not till they think of something completely different :rolleyes:

4. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I wouldn't be surprised to see if they add HDMI to it. Beyond that? I don't see what they could do. A lot of power users would love the option to remove the optical disc drive for more room for another battery or SSD slot.

5. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

meh those power users already are doing that.

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

It's a nice computer, but it falls far from perfect.

You could have a larger screen if you reduce the bezel, the backlit keyboard bleeds around the keys, the wifi reception is horrible since it is metal.

Improvements can be made.

7. BurningJah macrumors regular

I doubt that! at least not a full hdmi! a mini hdmi maybe! like the mini displayport!
    but I would like to see that too!

8. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Earliest I'd expect a refresh is 2011.. So just buy it now, only thing is the crappy intel card. They need to release a driver update.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

So let me get this straight: the best-ever, just-perfect computer is at your fingertips, but your guts churn at the thought that someday there might be something better?

Computers are tools. If what's available satisfies your needs, get it, use it, enjoy it, and if you want to upgrade someday, sell it and move on. In the case of the MBP, the sell price will be pretty good, too.

My advice, in three easy steps: buy it, jam as much RAM in as it'll hold, enjoy.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Quite a microscopic nitpick there. Besides, the bezel has other functions-- there's wiring and a camera mounted there.

?? I love that. Looks so damn cool in a darkened airplane. Not a flaw at all!

Not in my experience with the unibodies. It was an accurate complaint for my original-issue 2006 MBP, though. Does your complaint regard current models? Are you advocating that a crack-prone plastic case like on my last two ThinkPads would somehow be better? Or a gross shiny plastic case like one sees on too many Dells and HPs? Please.

Basically, I share the OP's high regard for these computers. Unbelievably solid, well-put-together and beautifully designed, with top-shelf performance and truly industry-leading support.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i think they're sticking to this design for a few more years :}
    maybe some change to the internal designs, but the outer area should be the same. unibody ftw.

12. Garrus macrumors member

why would we need hdmi now that minidisplay also carry sound... only use an adapter..

13. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I agree it is pretty damn good, I had the previous MB Pro and simply HATED the keyboard haha. As soon as the unibody's became available I snapped it up, now on my second because of the i7 chips and auto graphics switching and I can't see how to improve it. Not the overall design?

I think the unibody will be used for a while yet, the next new design will I think have a touch screen and a touch screen trackpad. No idea beyond that.

14. URFloorMatt macrumors 6502

That is definitely an intentional design choice.

15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I want to get out there that I own the 2009 unibody 13" macbook pro and it is the best overall computing experience I have every had (I have been using macs since 1997). Not to mention it is an excellent looking computer.

But the wifi reception is very poor if you compare it with the macbook or imac. It's tolerable, but it is upsetting when a $250 netbook gets a stronger signal. I am a fan of the aluminum body for durability and looks.

The bezel could definitely be shrunk without losing the camera.

And I know it has been talked about ad nauseum but an hdmi port would be very nice.

Alas, it is good a computer, but there is room for improvement.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Look how long the pre-unibody aluminum design was used by apple. it first appeared in the G4 Powerbooks and stayed around until 2008. Apple does not redesign its computers very often.

17. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

That's who it's behind the screen and not in the main body.

18. mashinhead macrumors 68020

If your talking about a cosmetic redesign I wouldn't expect one anytime soon. Apple invested a lot of money and production time in creating the unibody design. They aren't going to abandon it anytime soon.

19. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

20. kolax macrumors G3

The unibody manufacturing process allows variations. Apple could redesign it in a new unibody enclosure. Perhaps with no DVD drive and a sloping gradient from the screen to the keyboard so at the bottom end it is relatively thin. Less rounded corners and smoothed edges. Thinner bezel on the 13" and the 15".

There's minor changes they could do.

All silver would be nice again though. Matte, silver keys and silver bezel/hinge.

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Maybe they could anodize part of the range in black to liven things up a bit, though personally I don't think they'll do a Blackbook/Pro

22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Love the unibody design...I think it is here to stay for a while...as soon as the PC clones start ripping it off in mass, Apple will change it up...

23. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I really liked the older design better (Why oh why do you have to take my one button away? lol) but in all honesty there is no chance they will redesign it so soon. They are trying to give the same design cues to all of their product lines (Look at the apple displays.) So after all of that there is just no chance they would change the design because all of their other products would no longer mesh together.