MacBook Pro redesign. Fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cknyc, Jun 13, 2008.

1. cknyc macrumors newbie

My old PB G4 is on it's last legs, so it's time to upgrade. I keep hearing rumors of a major MacBook Pro redesign coming up. Is this true? Should I try to hold off?
    Also, if I do upgrade can I network my new and old Macs into a network and use the old PB as a wireless HD for files I don't want to keep on the new one?
    Thanks

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

If a new MacBook Pro design is coming, then it would be November of this year or early next year.

Using Mac OS X's built-in networking you can network any Macs and PCs that have the proper sharing permissions and copy to and from each of them.

3. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Up until last week when HP released that Voodoo Macbook wannabe I'd have definately said fiction. Now I can almost guarantee the next MBP will have a substantial and revolutionary redesign. Bad news is that it will put the release back about three months!. They'll have them on the drawing boards for months - it'll just take finalizing and tooling.

4. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

Fiction.

The current design is beautiful and people like it.

I can see them making the case slightly thinner perhaps but I really don't think a redesign is going to happen until technology demands it.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Did you look into the regular MacBook as an upgrade possibility? It will be plenty more powerful than your PowerBook.

6. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

All I can tell you is that there are a lot of speculations that there will be an update at some time. It is more likely that there will be a Macbook redesign seeing as we have seen reports for aluminum shells and LED screens that would fit a Macbook design rather than a Macbook Pro. However to answer your question there are only a handfull of people that know if and when it will happen and they are all in Cupertino, CA. I would hold off to the next update which will most likely be a processor update or if you can wait longer, I would wait until January when they update the CPU (and maybe a physical update some time in between there)

7. cknyc thread starter macrumors newbie

MBP 2.5 vs 2.4

Thanks to all for the info. I have considered the MB, and would love to save some $. I'll be doing a lot of Photoshop, FCP, and DVD SP and my patience with slow speeds and spinning beachballs is gone as a result of doing it on the old PB. I feel like I'm better off spending the dough for MBP.
    Given the above, do you guys think I'm better off spending the extra $500 on the 2.5GHz or will the 2.4 suffice? I don't do any video gaming BTW.

8. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

the biggest differentiator in performance will be the graphics card. More and more fcp plugs are using the GPU for real time render and for motion it's a must.You will need a fw800 disk for apple pro RES hd which works perfectly on the MBP. I don't think that $500 is worth 100mhz. The MBP is a serious piece of kit - I'd spend the extra money on 4 gb of ram (not from apple) and a nice fw800 external hard disk and a really nice bag for it all. I leave all my motion elements and my hd scratch files on the external hd which leaves me with over 100gb free on my internal drive after apps, music and photo's.

9. munckee macrumors 65816

I'm gonna have to disagree whole-heartedly. At a glance, the old design is still nice, but put it next to the newer computers, particularly the MBA, and it starts to show its age.

10. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I have to disagree. I've seen the MBP plenty of times with other machines from Apple and other manufacturers and it is by far the best looking machine out there. I must be odd because I don't particularly like the look of the MBA, I think the black keyboard was a mistake and there is too much bezel around the screen.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook is clearly the best looking Apple computer. It doesn't indulge in different colours like Pro/Air do and looks all the better for it.

12. cknyc thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple RAM

What's wrong with Apple's RAM?

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's generic third party stuff. Apple doesn't make it and it's usually way, way overpriced.

14. cknyc thread starter macrumors newbie

apple RAM

I thought it was odd when I priced out the RAM upgrade on Apple's site and it was $100/Gb, seems excessive.
    What about buying from Macconection or Macwarehouse, anyone know what they use, is it a good deal?

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Black and white, whereas the other two are only silver...

I don't see what you mean...

A MacBook Pro redesign would entail a magnetic latch. No chiclet keyboard, no tapered edges... Keep it the same and add a magnetic latch.

16. m1stake macrumors 68000

17. rican macrumors 6502

rican

what more can they do with the MBP design other than make it thinner... like stated above, i think that a redesign will come when technology demands it.. :]]

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I mean that the black MacBook is ALL black and the white MacBook is all white (okay, disregard this one because the inside is grey, I was thinking of my black one at the time). The Pro has a horrid looking strip of plastic around the edge of the lower case inside and the Air has that ghastly black keyboard.

Pro definitely loses on keyboard quality though, it really is years behind the great one on MacBook and Air.

19. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

nothing much, except that they charge about four times the price. which is stupid. they even design their computers so that you are able to easily change the ram yourself, and its the only thing apple arent pissy aboyut you touching which means that it will not void the warremty

20. wordy macrumors regular

wordy

To be fair there are many models where the HDD can be changed also. The MB shines in this department!

21. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I agree with you, because I have a MacBook and I think it looks great :D

22. ihabime macrumors 6502

Fact, it will be redesigned. Fiction, anyones guess on when it will happen :)

23. cknyc thread starter macrumors newbie

can't wait forever

Thanks for all of the opinions and info. I need it now for work, more than I need a sleek new MBA type design or chicklet keyboard, although something a little different in appearance than my PB G4 would be cool.

Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the 2.4 GHz MBP with the 250GB HD, glossy screen and do aftermarket RAM to 4 MB.
    I'll be running FCP, DVD SP and Photoshop (probably all at the same time) any changes to the above anyone thinks I should make?

Anyone know what kind of educational discount Apple is doing these days?

24. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Good luck with that ;)