Macbook Pro refresh late 2011?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddomike, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ddomike macrumors newbie

What do you tink, can we see a refresh in 2011? Or early 2012? If they push out the redesigned MBP in early december, it would be a big deal for xmas...

2. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Hi! Is this a rumor that the new body for mbp? or did apple confirm new body??

3. simsaladimbamba

Apple only confirms new bodies when it actually releases the new body.

Anyway, this is discussed very, very often, but a 2011 update with a new body is very unlikely, as new CPUs by Intel come out in early 2011, thus why update only the body when there is nothing else to update?

4. ddomike thread starter macrumors newbie

The new body and the standard ssd is not enough for a refresh? And there are a lot of sandy bridge cpus, they can increase the Ghz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Mobile_processors

5. simsaladimbamba

Why introduce a new body with so few features? 2012 should even bring USB 3.0 to the MBP line.
    A minor speed increase will not do that much, Apple has some limits with new GPUs, as the TDP is currently 45W.
    Anyway, as there are countless of threads upon this, I am not going to reiterate what has been said there.
    Maybe there will be an update before 2011, we just don't know it yet, and the rumours leading to such update are still thin, very thin.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The question you should be asking yourself is...what exactly would they refresh it with?

Standard SSD won't happen for obvious reasons.

7. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

New redesign isn't always great. They perfected the design they have now. Why change such a distinct/awesome look?

8. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The next major refresh is unlikely before Q2 2012, when the Ivy Bridge CPUs from Intel are released. There could be (and indeed have been in the past) small speed bumps as Intel refine their CPU manufacturing process and release faster CPU's for the same TDP, but other than that, I see no point in waiting to purchase a new machine.

9. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

10. eron macrumors 6502

Most likely a minor refresh at the end of the year, or later to clear off existing stock before the new designs.

11. Nocky24 macrumors member

I know this has been asked a lot... (2011 v. 2012)

fail post here

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't see them dropping the HDD on MBPs until SSD becomes cheaper.

13. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

Me neither, I mean, not everyone wants to lose their 750GB for a faster ssd with only 128GB for the same price... (or slightly higher as it os wright now..)

14. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

Can they?
    Apple won't be going to the extreme version.
    'Cause it's only a little bit faster, uses more battery and cost twice the price.

If Intel would update that list, then maybe...

15. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

16. MrPresident macrumors newbie

it would make sense to drop the new design without changing the cpu. that way apple gets people buying a new MBP for the latest design, then feeling like they have to buy a brand new MBP when they change the cpu.

17. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Whenever this question is asked, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!

18. rexster macrumors newbie

19. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Finally someone with some sense, it'll be like when they switched to the unibody design when C2D was already in the non unibody MBP

20. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Nobody who knows the answer will answer your question publicly.

I always look forward to Apple's latest and greatest, but would be fine if they kept the next MBP with the same current body. I probably would be less likely to upgrade again so soon unless it does have a new body though.