MacBook Pro Refresh Soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Master Fasmo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Master Fasmo macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new here!

I really want to buy my first Mac this month.

What are the chances there will be a refresh on the MacBook Pros this month?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. pik. macrumors 6502

pik.

I do believe in matte screen/bigger HD ....

Intel just anounced 3.06 GHz notebook Penryn....

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

just do a search, this question is being asked daily.

As with the other threads asking this, the chances are nearly zero that you'll see an update to the MBP line this month. Given the fact that WWDC is next week, the best advice is to wait till then - just to play it safe.

4. lostime macrumors regular

wait till after WWDC next week then you'll know.

5. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

this has been addressed,

There might be a possibility for a very small processor increase, memory increase, hard drive increase.

There are also those who will state with absolute authority, despite only speculating, that it is impossible until the autumn. There are also those who will chastise you for not searching.

It's best to weight a week and see what happens.

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

7. L0s7man macrumors 6502

WWDC is the last chance I give to Apple! I loved my 2008 MBP, but it was time to move on and when new MBPs came out, I simply didn't like them. Unless a nice hardware revision (GT130 would be nice) and matte screen shows up, I'm going with Sony Vaio SR with Radeon HD 4570 ;-)

Come on Apple, you better give me something good!

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I like my uMBP muuuuuch more than my powerbook. Try it and you'll love it.

9. L0s7man macrumors 6502

I just can't stand how glossy it is. My friend has some Dell laptop, which has 'slightly' glossy screen and I like it. Sony has 'slightly' glossy screens and I like them too. I just can't stand the mirror on uMBP ;-( It was a huge disappointment for me.

Personally, I like matte and I'd stick to matte if I could. So I'm either hoping for a nice hardware revision to win me over (the Vaio SR is pretty amazing; with Radeon 4570 it really packs a punch for games in a 13" form factor...) or for the matte screen ;-)

My biggest problem is what they call these days 'edge to edge' display, that is the damn glossy coating around the actual screen. Since it's just the bezel and its not backlit, it's horribly reflexive; yes, it looks good for when you first look at it, but I hate working on a computer that is like that.

10. magallanes macrumors regular

the next WWDC will be iphone centric :p, so may be you can't expect any change (or any noticeable change) for mbp line of notebook.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Memory won't.

I've never weighted a week, but I assume it's fairly heavy... except this one.

It doesn't really matter if there is an update, because any processor change is unnoticeable. You can't tell the difference; it just isn't possible.

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This would lead to a slight timing problem, as there are some paradigm shifts in technology on the horizon. USB 3.0 ports will start appearing on computers in Q4 2009; Intel will have a Centrino 2 platform ready to be rolled out around the same time, along with new processors.

In other words Apple has two choices: Wait until early 2010 before updating the MBP (and this will be a major update), or do an interim update sometime during 2010 to keep sales of the current MBP going. If they were to hold off this interim update until the fall of 2009, that version would be the most short lived Mac ever. So the best timing would be to release a slightly updated MBP line in June... July at the very latest.

So, my guess...

MBP 1.0 > Nov 2008
    MBP 1.1 > Jun-Jul 2009
    MBP 2.0 > Feb-Mar 2010

13. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

You can speak with 100% authority that between now and the late autumn that there is 0% chance that Apple will make all aluminum-based macbooks (excluding the Air) have a maximum memory limit of 8gb?

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ah! A max memory increase! Sure, I believe that. I thought an increase in the amounts of RAM being sold with the computers was what was being postulated. Sorry.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'm thinking…

CPU bump (133 MHz)
    4 GB RAM in low-end 15" MacBook Pro
    New GPUs
    Maybe slight HDD adjustments
    Maybe new battery technology for 15"

16. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

im going to buy a new macbook pro...id really love if all you said were to happen...haha

fingers crossed, :D

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

most likely there will probably only be a cpu boost from the WWDC.

18. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

At least 5 times a day for the past 2 weeks unfortunately :rolleyes:

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

...and a matte option. If they refresh the 15" without letting it inherit the anti-glare option from the 17", there will be an uproar that will dwarf the "Steve Jobs on lack of firewire in MacBooks" thread.

I personally prefer the glossy version, but I'd very much like the noise to be silenced...

20. nws0291 macrumors 6502

I just bought a 15" 2.66 uMBP on sat. I am still in the 14 day period if they do refresh but this laptop is so fast compared to my 1st gen blackbook that it's really much faster than what I need it for.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I doubt it very much; if there is a major refresh I'd expect it to take place in September. Meanwhile, I'd suggest that you wait until after next week, - in the very unlikely event of anything major occuring - though I shall be very surprised if anything is unveiled then.

Cheers and good luck

22. ARK macrumors 6502

People, they just "refreshed" them in March when the 17" was released. They are not going to refresh them again just 3 months later.

23. iMacmatician macrumors 601

They've done very small refreshes like that a few times before (May 2006, November 2007) with the notebooks, and the overall 6-9 month cycle still stays.

24. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

So you're saying if you encoded a video, you wouldn't notice which one finished quicker? It's pretty easy to tell the difference.

25. ARK macrumors 6502

Its only been 3 months... Plus the 17" wasnt even shipping until late March early April.