MacBook Pro Refurb or iMac at Macworld

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 007bond, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

ok im in the market for a mac. im stuck with 2 pc's and they are really frustrating. i have a desktop and a laptop. i need something with power so im thinking of a refurb Macbook Pro. its only $1349 so its in my budget. Im also thinking of waiting until macworld for a new iMac, since i could use an upgrade on the Screen space. i dont NEED it now, ill be ok until summer.:apple:

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The refurb MBPs are a staggeringly good deal. I have a perfectly good BlackBook, and I'm sorely tempted to buy myself a Christmas Present... ;)

In your position, I would likely buy the refurb MBP and add an external display. I run a similar setup with my MacBook, and I love the portability of the laptop, but demand the bigger screen when doing any real work. :)

3. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

i will surely take your post into consideration, but i dont mind a second opinion

also, i dont know weather to get glossy or regular

4. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think if you don't care about portability, the new iMacs at MacWorld should be awesome! If you want power and portability, the MBP refurb is an amazing deal... but you will always worry about the Nvidia chip overheating. It has been a big problem. Personally, I would buy the iMac over the MBP refurb. Or, you could wait a few months and get the new MBP refurbished without any problems... but probably $1799 for the low end model by then. Not the $1349 screaming deal of the prior generation.

My two cents.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It depends on whether you prize power or portability more. If your preference is for power, choose the iMac. If, however, you need or desire portability, then the refurb MBP (which is very competitively priced at the moment) is the obvious choice. Personally, I'd choose the MBP, but then I like portability.

Cheers and good luck

6. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

look i hardly take my old laptop out of the house but i do take it around the house

im still not sure. does anybody know when the refurbs will stop being sold

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

When they run out of stock.

In actual fact, previous-gen MBPs will probably continue to pop up for a while yet, but there's lots right now because they're clearing out old stock. Once that disappears there will still be some refurbs available, but they'll be fewer and further between. Just like you occasionally see a previous-gen iMac in the refurb store.

8. 007bond thread starter macrumors 6502a

007bond

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Yeah llike 2 weeks ago I saw a 17 inch iMac on the refurb store. Anyway I think I'll wait till the new iMacs come out. Thank you guys for the help