Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumrunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2007
I am ready to buy a laptop, but I am torn between buying a refurbished one now or waiting for the LED laptops that are to come (and probably soon). I am not sure what the advantages are to LED (other than being more environmentally friendly) laptops, nor have I read much speculation on what those laptops might have in terms of additional feature over the current MacBook Pros.

Any advice you might have would be very welcome. Always good to have a sober second thought. :)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Well, just get the laptop whenever you need it. If you can afford to wait, then by all means wait, but if you need it now, you should get it now. There's always going to be something better. (In fact, I got my MacBook Pro just a little while before the Core 2 Duos came out :( )

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I am not sure what the advantages are to LED (other than being more environmentally friendly) laptops
That's the big one. It may help with battery life too, but there are plenty more power-hungry components in there, so don't expect a massive difference.

Any other possible differences (backlight evenness, color accuracy, being better or worse etc.) are all wild speculation until we get so see what parts end up in Apple machines.

BenHoleton

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2006
Congrats on being the first person to ask about waiting for LED as opposed to Leopard or Santa Rosa.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If you can wait do it, and then if there isn't much improvement get a better price on the current model Refurb.

rumrunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2007
Decision Made

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the laptop. I ultimately made up my mind by convincing myself that a first generation LED laptop might be more hassle than it is worth. Not to mention I have the money and the green light from my wife (no small factor :) ), and who knows if both of those conditions will still be there when the LEDs arrive.

So, here is what I got.

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
2GB (two SODIMMs) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load 6x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

Thanks to the people who replied to my post! As I mentioned before, it is always good to have that sober second thought.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
All the current MacBook and MacBook Pro models are great. Especially since it's toward the end of their cycles they have already flushed out any problems or what not. I also pulled the trigger for a refurbished MacBook today. Hope you enjoy your MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.