Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kyrielis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
I've been browsing the site since sometime and I've basically tried mroogle but to no avail. So please hear me out.

I was going to buy a 13 inch Macbook Air but then I got a little more ambitious and thought that I might as well spend 80 more pounds and get a refurbished Macbook pro 15" base model (I did see a video on Youtube that basically shows that WoW runs pretty well... but why not buy something that might be able to do basically everything slightly better... minus SSD).

My question is, does the 14 day return still apply to refurbished products and also... how do they treat scratches? (I did see that a lot of people were endorsing the refurbished idea with great stories of "i-got-refurb-with-fault-and-apple-gave-me-a-new-one-instead", but frankly to me I just find that a little too good to be true :p).

I guess I'm scared because it's quite the investment isn't it? I would love to feel assured that a refurbished macbook pro is a macbook pro that basically isn't different from a new macbook pro minus the awesome apple packaging.

Thanks in advance.

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I would love to feel assured that a refurbished macbook pro is a macbook pro that basically isn't different from a new macbook pro minus the awesome apple packaging.

I can't help you with what their returns policy on scratches is but I can assure you that my refurb MBP (had it 2 weeks) is identical to a new model with no cosmetic imperfections :) Stoked because I saved heaps for a beautiful computer that is indistinguishable for a new model :) And like you my original budget was only for a 13"... but when i figured it would only be $3-400 (AU) to upgrade to 15" I decided it was worth it, and I'm glad i did! :)

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
if you buy refurb and it is working perfectly fine ... you will have to pay a restocking fee if you return it for say a scratch ... if it is a Dud they will give you a new one.

The odds of it being a Dud are slim and next to none ... a lot of refurbs are brand new ...many have just have been opened and returned for an upgrade ... refurbs are still a great deal even with a couple of scratches. :cool:

kyrielis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you everyone

I just placed an order!
Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks you guys :)

carlyinoz

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I just placed an order!
Keeping my fingers crossed...

Thanks you guys :)

Yay!!!! Good luck with being patient for the wait and let us know how it goes. Are you new to Mac? My refurb is my first mac and i'm in heaven :) Just don't do what I did my first day and keep using the space bar to scroll down (and get annoyed that it was so "loose") ... lol! The trackpad (once you discover it's magic) is amazing! :D

kyrielis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Thank god I never use the space bar for scrolling!

The specs are the basic 15" model : i5 2.4 ghz/ 256mb gt 330m/standard Hard drive/4gb Ram.

I was going to wait until sandy bridge... but the waiting game is just driving me insane - it also is basically an avalanche of expectations: Nvidia Ferma (imho, not going to happen, but we all dream on)...light peak... usb 3.0... blu ray...Ninento 3DS-esque glass free 3d screen.

The first Ipod experience was actually very terrible: I got a 20gb ipod.. (the model right before the colour ones) and BAM the next month, the colour ones with photos are out. So I had an anti Apple phase.. until I bought a 1st gen ZUNE - need I explain more? ;)

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
A quesion

Will the refurbished MBPs have Lion pre-installed when it is released or will they remain loaded with snow leopard?

thanks in advance

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.