MacBook Pro Refurbs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hauntedcity, Jun 5, 2007.

1. hauntedcity macrumors member

hauntedcity

With the new MBP models out today, any idea when we might see a price drop on the refurb models? The Core 2 Duo models are still only sporting an 18-21% savings. When the new MacBooks were released a few weeks ago, I thought the refurbished models immediately dropped in price.

Thanks,
    Doug

2. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

yeah I was pretty disappointed by that too. I mean being only $200 cheaper than a new one with edu discount isnt much of a deal for "older" technology on the 15" C2D mbp ....I was hoping they'd drop to like $1300-$1400

3. hauntedcity thread starter macrumors member

hauntedcity

The new ones actually seem a better deal than refurbished!

At the $1999 price level new vs. refurb, the new MB Pros have LED, faster SuperDrive, better graphics card (although with less VRAM), updated processor. Same system RAM & Hard Drive space.

Let's hope for a price drop soon.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The Macbooks that dropped heavily were the Core Duo ones ($849), the C2D's were listed starting at $999.

5. thenick512 macrumors newbie

I'm also sorta hoping the came down in price as well. I was going to buy one today if they came down in price further. Maybe in a week or so they will shed a few hundred bucks. Keeping my fingers crossed

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give Apple a little more time to update their Outlet pages.

7. lowteg macrumors newbie

got a small question regarding refurb's:

I'm in the market for a laptop and still trying to decide if a macbook or a pro is right for me, but I have noticed that on the refurb section the black macbook is only $50 more than the white equivalte with smaller HD...however when buying it new its like $200 more! Are they actually putting a premium on the black color of the laptop?

just something I noticed...
    I too was hoping for a C2D 15" pro around the $1400 range...but now I can get a crazy pro for $1800 and a free ipod which I can sell and lower the total cost of a base mac pro for only $1600 :))

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

welcome to the club:

yes the refurb MBP's are only a few dollar cheaper than a education priced new santa rosa MBP. that's why i won't buy refurb unless the prices drop by at least $200. for people without an edu discount the story looks different. in case of the macbooks the refurb got cheaper at the same day. for the MBP's well who knows. but i don't expect a pricedrop soon and not in the $200 range.

and yes, the new blackbook is $200 more than a new white book but gives you only ~$50 more HD space. in the refure section this premium is gone so the blackbook is a good deal as refurb (a shame that i like the white one more).

i will go for a edu priced new white MB with the $200 ipod. that brings the macbook to ~$1000 plus $100 for a 2GB Ram upgrade from OWC.

i would like a MBP and I could afford one. but i decided i'd rather go for a "intermediate" notebook till the next chip is out (~beginning/mid of 2008) and then i buy a top end model. these models are really a great value but not a big enough leap in performance for me to spend the money(I don't need the performance honestly. it's more a toy/hobby:eek: . i just want a big difference between what i have now and the new machine to experience the wow factor:eek: . i'd like to see a quad core or a fully solid state HD in there and 10hrs of battery life). till then a macbook is fast enough and my PB G4 is working great as well.

9. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

It seems to take an average of 6 (to 8) weeks from shipping of a new model before there are refurbs of the new model. In the past, the refurb priced did drop immediately on the previous generation machines. We won't know for sure until SR MBP's hit the refurb page, but it is possible that the SR's will no have as large of discounts as we are used to getting. Maybe they'll do $200 off the base and $300 off the 2.4 15".

Don't get me wrong, I hope this is not the case, but if they bumped down all of the other MBP's, then they should really bump down the PowerBooks as well and perhaps they are not willing to do that.

10. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Actually, the refurb MacBook with the below specs was being sold for $1099 before the latest MacBook update. The day the MacBooks were updated, the price on this refurb dropped to $999 (savings went from 16% to 24% off original price).

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
    1280 x 800 resolution
    1GB memory (2x512MB SODIMMs)
    80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera

Original price: $1,299.00

I've been checking the refurb section several times today and the refurb MacBook Pro with the below specs is still selling for $1599. It's still at 21% off original price. Apple needs to bring it down to at least 25% off original price. That would put it at about $1499. I'm hoping for $1399.

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch Glossy Display, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch glossy widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
    1GB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    120GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-load 6x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera
    Front Row and Apple Remote

Original price: $1,999.00
    Your price: $1,599.00

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

R-MBP prices

Has anyone else noticed that with the release of the revised MBP's and the fact that Apple did not adjust the prices on the existing models on the refurb site, that the refurb MBP's are not selling out like the used to?

:apple:, lower the prices please! :confused:

12. hauntedcity thread starter macrumors member

hauntedcity

Yup, that's my whole point. I had hoped to order a newly-discounted version of an older MBP C2D this week, but as they currently stand, the new ones actually seem a better deal than refubished. Go figger.

13. thenick512 macrumors newbie

at first i was going to get the blackbook 2.16 and was going to get education discount. so figure 1399. then I saw the refurd 2.16 mbp for 1599 with tax it takes it to like 1712. then I realized that the edu discount for a new mbp is 1799 ( thanks to delaware and tax free shopping). I figured if I can afford to spend 1712 to buy a refurb mbp, I can afford 1799 for a new mbp. here I come delaware and damn you apple. that is all

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

15. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Oh man - that is certainly worth the drive. Enjoy your 2.2!!! :)