MacBook Pro refurbs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Sep 1, 2009.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Thanks for some help in my other thread. I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading my MacBook Pro (more RAM, hd, better battery life, etc.)

I'm looking at these two models:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Illuminated keyboard

vs

4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    Express Card
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600 graphics
    Illuminated keyboard

They are the same price on the refurb store ($1449). Which one is better? Or should I just keep what I have and upgrade the RAM?

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

Your laptop is less than 1 year old... Upgrade to 4GB of RAM and a larger, faster hard drive. Much cheaper, and I doubt you'll be able to tell any difference between yours upgraded and a new one.

3. illicium macrumors regular

The second one is a much better deal unless you just have to have an SD card slot. Bigger Hard Drive and better graphics card

4. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

So do u think I wouldn't be able to recoup enough of the price difference if I sold my current laptop?

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

along these lines, would you basically spend $200 more for the new low-end laptop macbook pro 15"?

machine A
    2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

vs

machine B
    2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    Illuminated keyboard

6. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

So what's the consensus here? Should I sell my MacBook Pro and buy the refurb 2009 model? The one with integrated graphics but sd slot, 4gb ram, builtin battery for $250 more.

I do edit home movies and use Photoshop and lightroom extensively. But I do not know if the 9600 card makes that much difference. Seeing as I rarely turn on the dedicates cars on my mac.

7. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I think you'd be best off with the 2.4 UMBP. The only disadvantage is that the battery will last a couple of hours less. But, it has the Expresscard/34 slot, and the 9600GT. The 130mhz is negligible and you can upgrade the RAM yourself.

8. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Go with the late 2008! I have the same one!

Hi, I bought the late 2008 with the 2 video cards because it's a much better deal. I have the exact same model 2.53ghz + 4gb +320GB HD+ 9600GT + 9400 graphics + express slot. It's an amazing deal for $1449. It corresponds to the current high end model without the 7 hour battery and without the SD card slot! Go with it and sell your current machine. That's a great deal.

9. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

So I think I'm going to put mine on ebay..So that leaves three laptops to choose from. They are:

(1)
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1449

or

(2)
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1599

(3)
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1449

or

(4)
    Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB memory
    320GB Hard Drive
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    Illuminated keyboard
    $1699

I don't know about option 1, just because i don't know if it's enough of an upgrade to warrant the loss. Which is also kinda bad against 2, because it's $150 more than 1 and only upgrades the cpu .13. I like option 4 of course, but is the hard drive, cpu and 9600 worth the extra $250 over 3? I do like the SD and built-in battery though. I consider those big pluses.

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Get the older model if you care about expanding it by using Express Card slot. Also get the older one for games and power for graphics intensive apps.

Get the newer model if you care about better quality display. Get the new one if you might one day want to insert 8 GB RAM.

I personally would want the Express Card slot and 9600 graphics more than a higher quality display and 8 GB RAM.

If you plan to use it for five years, I might say newer model as RAM upgrade may be more important three plus years down the road. For the meantime, 4 GB RAM, 9600 GT, and Express Card seems like a winner.

Good luck!

11. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, the older models are out, only because the SD and built-in battery are too good for me to pass up.

Now, should I go the extra $250 for dedicated graphics, 2.66 vs 2.53 and 320gb HD vs 250? In other words, are those three features worth $250?

12. super tomtendo macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

It's your damn computer and your money. Do what the hell you please. People on the internet aren't going to solves your personal issues involving buying something. We aren't you. If you feel you want something more then something else then do it. What they hell do you need our opinion for?

13. 7even macrumors 6502a

Are they worth it *to you*? I'd go for the better model, it'll make more of a difference vs. your existing machine.

14. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry, I come to this forum for advice. That's all.

15. nfable macrumors regular

nfable

Well, the first reply nailed it man... your MBP is less than a year old; are you really running into PS and lightroom problems or do you just think a new machine would be 'faster', or do you just wish to spend to have the newest?

I have a late 06 MBP 15" and I do PS / AI CS4 and FCP on it with 4G of ram when machine can only address 3 and I'm pretty damn spanky. The best thing I ever did as far as noticing a speed difference is getting an eSATA pciexpress card and an eSATA 1TB external; partitioning the external with a 200GB scratch drive that I point PS and FCP to... that was a dramatic help and cost ~$150.

Yes get your ram 3rd party.

Get your macs refurbished about 6 - 9 months after they are released; don't waste the extra on a 'spanky new' one.

I personally think the SD slot is a terrible addition, at least for the MBP; I'll whip out a USB SD reader once every few days, but I use my eSATA every day.

If you can't decide from the helpful advice on this thread: either hold out, or get the most expensive one you possibly can, a SSD and max RAM from Apple... then you'll know you did all you can to have the 'best'. Not to be too flip with you, but your machine is really recent and a desire to get a new one seems superfluous and you won't get near what you paid on resale of current...

Anyway, good luck - but consider the eSATA extension for real world performance pluses.

nf

16. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the great advice everybody. I decided to get the new 1699 macbook pro. I used my edu discount and got the free ipod touch, which i will subsequently sell. Thus, cheaper than a refurb unit @ $1449.

My main thinking was that if I upgraded RAM to 4GB ($65), upgraded to Snow Leopard ($29) and bought an express card SD adapter ($30), then the difference is very little compared to a new MBP. So I sprung for it and got the fantastic battery life laptop. It already worked great last night after my cousins wedding I just imported the photos, edited them and uploaded them. And I loved the fact that I didn't need to be near an outlet to do it!