Macbook Pro refuses to boot from anything

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slippyjim, Jan 2, 2014.

1. slippyjim macrumors newbie

Hi,

Macbook pro A1286
    First off I am far from a Mac expert as I work fixing windows machines, but Im trying to fix the is Mac for a friend.

It starts to boot, gets the apple log and the spinny circle then sometimes a blue screen and sometimes a grey screen. I tried everythign I could find on the web, safe mode, scanning the hard drive etc etc but nothing worked, made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

So next I decided to try to format and reinstall, so I took the hard drive out and connected a spare empty drive I had lying around and started up the Internet recovery a progress bar appears and goes across I timer initally counts up then starts counting down then the screen goes grey and just stays like that.

I have also tried a recovery DVD and also converted it to a USB stick but it wont even boot from them - I was pressing C during startup but I just get a folder with a ? flashing on the screen.

Surely with a new hard drive in there it shoudl just install????

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks

2. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

3. slippyjim thread starter macrumors newbie

If it was the hard drive cable then I would expect it to either not load at all or stop loading a bit more randomly. I dont think a faulty cable would cause it to stop in exactly the same way every time????