Macbook Pro refuses to sleep, date/time is reset

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renx88, Jul 13, 2011.

1. renx88 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a rather confusing problem relating to my Macbook Pro, I was hoping you knowledgeable people could help me where the Genius bar failed :)

My computer refuses to go to sleep, for some reason unknown to me. When I direct it to go to sleep via the apple menu, it instantly wakes up. Now, the last time I shut it down, it had difficulty turning on - I actually thought I broke it - but after 5 mins of pressing power, it turned on. This makes me wary of shutting the laptop down, so I need some help here. I've googled but I think my problem is little known.

Secondly, every time I do a reboot, the macbook pro forgets the time and date, and also my wifi password. I get a warning message saying "Your macbook pro has been set to a date before June 2008", and I have to re-insert my wifi password.

I don't know if these two problems are related, I read somewhere they may be related to the PRAM battery underneath the optical drive, but I also read that this battery gets recharged. I never have the battery in the unit, I always power the computer via AC.

Oh yes one last thing, a number of keys on my Pro don't work - very annoying because I can't reset the SMC by any known method - the USB keyboard is only operational once the OS is loaded!

Thanks for reading, I hope you can help me with this problem,

R.

2. renx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Are there any obvious reasons why the Pro won't go to sleep?

3. renx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like a bit of an unusual problem. I managed to half-fix it by moving the temperature sensor cable beneath the right fan, just wiggling it around. My average fan speed dropped from about 2500RPM to a more normal 1200RPM, then I put it to sleep, the sleep light came on and appeared to be sleeping, but the fans were still running - which just ain't right!

Any help?

4. renx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. cgrendy3 macrumors newbie

Hmmm.... sorry that I can't help you, renx88, but, I too am having some weird 'menu bar' problems with my MBP. At times, I cannot shut down my MBP unless I use the power button. The menu bar in general seems a bit haunted! It will randomly change the date/time icon information without any input on my part!! All of the menu bar icons (native and third party) at various times, may show up, go away, return highlighted in blue, refuse to let me use their submenus... etc... and, i may not be actively 'doing' anything at the time!

Oddly, one icon in the menu bar that refuses to go away is from a program that has been deleted!!! Since the program is GONE, i cannot open its preferences to uncheck the 'icon in the menu bar,' so uhm.... yeah. No idea!

Even as I'm typing this post, the date/time just disappeared!! argh.

Any suggestions?

6. cgrendy3 macrumors newbie

I'm back with a 'sort of' solution...

Since I posted the previous comment, I have upgraded my operating system from Leopard-->Snow Leopard-->Mountain Lion.
    By doing so, the menu bar problems and power-off issue disappeared when the first new operating system was loaded.

Although, this thread started about a year and a half ago, my problems with the menu bar (outlined earlier) continued to haunt me until I finally (December 2012) upgraded to a newer iOS!

I would suggest to anyone else having similar problems to first try a clean re-install of the iOS they currently have, and if that fails to solve the problem, perhaps upgrade to the next operating system.

Good Luck! ;)