Macbook Pro Refusing to read a DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by takeitt, Apr 16, 2008.

1. takeitt macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble getting my Penryn Macbook Pro to read a DVD, all my other macs are having no problem reading this disc, but I just can't get it to work, the drive makes the usual noise trying to read it, but in the end it just ends up ejecting the disc.

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's quiet normal for the slot loader to reject the odd dvd here and there.
    I'd say 99.99% of them will work... just that 0.01% won't.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My MacBook recently started doing this with all discs. It loads the disc and makes the usual noise. About 3 seconds later it makes the noise again and spits out the disc. I'm going to have to take it to the Apple store soon.

4. dab3 macrumors newbie

Yeah, just try multiple DVD's and if they don't run on your Mac, but on your other computers you may have something wrong with your Super Drive. I had the same problem and I thought it was due to low quality dvd's but when I brought my MBP in for AppleCare, they replaced it.

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've had my new BlackBook and new iMac not read one DVD but my MBP from last summer played it perfectly. It happens. Sometimes your regular full sized DVD player will have trouble playing a DVD.

6. takeitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, yeah other DVD's work, I just tried it a bunch of times, and finally I got it to read it.

7. certsoft macrumors member

certsoft

The only DVD my MBP has rejected is "Gattaca" where one side is widescreen and the other side is cropped. My Mac Mini reads it fine.

8. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Take it in for service. My old 2.16 Yonah started being picky with DVD's and CD's. In the beggining the Superdrive would refuse to write on certain kinds of DVD's and CD's, from there it progressed to burning anything, and from there, further, to being extremely picky reading off DVD's. I took it to an Apple store, and they sent it away for repairs, since then it works great.