Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Hi,
I just got a new Mac Book Pro and would like to know if Region 8 means that the player would be region free. It says it is a special region for airplanes and cruise ships, but that didn't really help me!

Thank you!
TG

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Hi,
I just got a new Mac Book Pro and would like to know if Region 8 means that the player would be region free. It says it is a special region for airplanes and cruise ships, but that didn't really help me!

Thank you!
TG

How do you know that this MBP has a region 8 player?

A subject search found "Region 8 is a special region intended for international usage. It is similar to region 0, but provides some protection against open distribution."

Region 0 players can generally read all disks so you might (?) be OK if you're dealing with a region 8 player.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
How do you know that this MBP has a region 8 player?

A subject search found "Region 8 is a special region intended for international usage. It is similar to region 0, but provides some protection against open distribution."

Region 0 players can generally read all disks so you might (?) be OK if you're dealing with a region 8 player.

It is in the choices of Regions in the drop down menu. So, does it mean Region 8 is region-free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.