Macbook pro release--November 2011 (AIR?/PRO?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsoccerman, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Ironsoccerman macrumors member

Hello all... first time posting! Looking to be a mac, currently typing on a 2005 Acer Aspire....... SO. I dont want to buy my mac right now and then have a redesign come out that blows it away. I have heard that there will probably be ultra thin 15 and 17 laptops... Wondering what the thoughts are. Will they merge the Air/Pro lines?
    11, 13, 15, 17 macbook

Or will they have side by side lines?
    13, 15, 17 Pro
    11, 13, 15, 17 Air

Or something else?

Anyway, I thought I needed some input. What do you expect for the next refresh in terms of hardware....

Thanks!

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

What rumors have you been inhaling :)
    No one knows the answers to your questions, but I think there is a low probability of a redesign on that timeline, because the ivy bridge processors are not due until next spring.

if you want to buy, this is a good time to do so. the airs are new, the pros are relatively new, and the macbooks are gone.

unless, of course, you want to avoid getting left behind by the next shiny, in which case you should wait until 2029, when osXtreme comes out :)

3. seong macrumors 65816

seong

NOONE CAN PREDICT WHEN IT WILL BE RELEASED.
    Even if Apple was GOING to release it this fall, by any chance if some hardware bug pops up, the refresh won't happen. The best guess is early 2012, since Apple won't hold up that long for a refresh. However, if they were to release a minor spec bump, then it could be very well this fall.

Anyways, back on topic, I really don't have any idea if they will merge it, but it seems highly unlikely. They can go a lot thinner if they get rid of ODD, but not the tapered design of the current MBAs. The reason behind that is there won't be a lot of accessible ports if you to tapered, just like what you see on the 13" MBA, when compared to 13" MBP. If the 15" MBA was to come up, it would most likely be an addition to the MBA line, and keep all the MBP models.

Redesign? No. Period. This will require any major internal change, such as the death of ODDs on MBP lines, or new CPU like Ivy Bridge.

You can also check out the buyer's guid and see what's going on.

4. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

The macrumors drug :)

5. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Usualy, Apple MBP are 1.6x to 3x faster than the previous generation. To gain that, either they make the SSD and 8gbRAM standard or they change the proccesor. The next-gen processor will not be out in the wil in fall so even :apple: upgrade, you can do update your stock machine to match the specs...

Unlikely I would say :D

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Sorry, but I don't think you'll see that. Macbook Pro's have been updated every 9-11 months in recent years, which means you won't see it until January at the earliest. Even the airs were just updated so that further decreases the chances, but I have heard the rumors of an larger Air. I would say November or December going by past years estimates, but that's suicide for retail as they miss the Christmas rush by that point. Generally, if a retailer can't have a product out by late September/early October, they'll wait. Furthermore, Ivy Bridge isn't due out til early 2012 I believe? That's when I would expect new Macbook Pros. You won't see a new air model until the ULV-Ivy Bridge hits the streets.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

have u been living under a rock?

apple JUST released the macbook airs

the macbook pros were released in february which wasnt even that long ago.

there wont be a new release in the fall, that is way to soon, as the other post mentioned, the ivy processors wont be available till next year. earliest release of something will be early next year.

so if u want a new macbook now, order one and enjoy it!

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

So?

Intel is coming with new Sandy Bridge CPU's later this year. Apple doesn't need to wait till Ivy Brigde for a spec bump ( the 2011 MBP is also just a spec bump ).

9. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Wrong and wrong.

They will wait til Ivy Bridge (March 2012 at the earliest, so probably when we'll see new MBP; http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110802PD204.html)

What new mobile Sandy Bridge CPU's are coming out in the next few weeks? AFAIK Only desktop/server class ones are still due, so the Mac Pro can finally be updated. We won't see new Intel CPU's this year for the Macbook Pro class, and it isn't like Apple to update the Macbook Pro again this soon anyways.

10. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Probably not. In following with their average refresh time of 8 months, oct-nov will look good. Sandy Bridge is the first Intel processor that they have coordinated release of MBP with processor. Guess- release late this year (ultrathin 15, 17) and then june/july adopt ivy bridge. :apple:

11. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

A spec bump that doubled the performance over the 2010 models!!

13. Ironsoccerman thread starter macrumors member

Yes, these second gen sandy bridge processors are I THINK supposed to be~20% faster... i think.