macbook pro remote question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by daysgoby, Mar 5, 2008.

1. daysgoby macrumors newbie

My girlfriend's got iMac and came with remote.. I just ordered macbook pro 15' model with 2.5mzh mode... with remote.. so both remote work on both computers?? she doesn't use her remote but it be annoying if i used mine and if it worked on both her iMac and mine..

by the way my mbp is still sitting around in Incheon, Korea fedex ramp.. everyone else's seems to be going straight from shanghai to anchorage how come mine is bypassing Korea...

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can pair a remote with a computer so that only that remote will operate that computer. Get her to pair her remote with her imac, then your remote wont affect her machine at all.

Remote Pairing is in System Prefs->Security

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

or to pair, just hold the menu and play buttons while pointing it at the computer you want to pair it to, with no other ones in the room

4. aerove macrumors 6502

aerove

to make things easier check this out..

got it frm apple
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302545

"
    If you have several MacBook Pro, iMac G5 (iSight), or Intel-based iMac computers, or other devices with integrated infrared ("IR") receivers in one room, you can "pair" your Apple Remote with a specific computer so it doesn't interfere with other iMac G5 (iSight) computers or IR devices nearby. (For example, maybe you have one or more iMac G5 (iSight) computers and a remote-controlled TV in the same room.)

Pairing allows you to set the receiving computer so that it can only be controlled by one remote. Here's how to pair your Apple Remote:

Pairing your remote with your Mac
    Get extra close to your Mac (about 3 or 4 inches away).
    Point the remote at the Apple logo on the front of your Mac.
    Press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons simultaneously on the remote for 5 seconds.
    Your Apple Remote is now paired with your computer. You can tell the remote is paired because you will see a chain-link style lock.

To delete a pairing between the remote and your Mac, open System Preferences, click Security, and then click Unpair in the Security pane. (You may have to enter your Administrator password to make changes in the Security pane.)

Turning off infrared reception
    You can use the Security pane in System Preferences to turn the infrared ("IR") reception on your Mac off (or back on). To do this:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    Click Security to display the pane.
    Select the "Disable remote control infrared receiver" checkbox.

"

5. daysgoby thread starter macrumors newbie

oh wow that was really fast replies
    thanks very much guys!
    I'll configure her's now so i don't have to stress once mine arrives!

6. Yessia macrumors newbie

Sort of a related question to the apple remote, I bought one recently and can't get it to work. I'm assuming my g5 mac pro has IR so thats not the issue, and the battery is okay as well but I still don't get any responses with my remote from any applications like itunes and such. I did a little searching for help and the one thing I can't seem to find on my computer is where to make sure remote control infrared receiver's aren't disabled. The apple site for instance says theirs an option under System preferences -> security for disabling IR, but when I go to security under my system preferences the only options I have are: require a password to wake the computer up from sleep, disable automatic login, require a password to unlock system preferences, logout after x minutes of inactivity, and use secure virtual memory, nothing about infrared receivers. There are other tabs at the top of the security preferences pane; firevault and firewall but those also have nothing about IR.

Am I missing something? My OS is leopard, 10.5.2. Forgive me if the answer is really obvious :p.