MacBook Pro - removing bluetooth & IR

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cat7, May 25, 2012.

1. cat7 macrumors newbie

I want to remove all traces of bluetooth and infrared to correct some security problems. Is it just a matter of drag drop from /system/library/coreservices ? or do I need to do some script in the command line interface? also any recommended books that give something beyond the beginner level?

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Depending on what model you have, you can literally remove the IR board and disable bluetooth, if you do not mind losing these possibly forever. On mine, the IR board is located near the HDD, and took 2 screws to remove. Unfortunately it is bundled with the sleep light as well so you would lose that. It is usually plugged into the logic board with a 5 or so pin cable, which is easily unplugged. BLuetooth is more difficult though, and will require removing display glass (depending on model), and removing the board, or alternatively unplugging the Camera/Wifi/Bluetooth cable from the board.

You also might be able to do it with a parental controls account...
    What type of removal are we talking? Permanent or temporary?

3. cat7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Removing IR & Bluetooth MacBook Pro Snow Leopard

Thanks for the info. I probably would disable temporarily, if the physical removal risks affecting other components, i don't want to risk it. I thought there was a way to remove the device components from the hardware list...and hence, not require any physical removal?

4. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Can't you just leave Bluetooth off and turn infrared off in the settings somehow? I'm not an expert by any means but it seems kind of simple, just not sure if it will work. Once I get back home I'll check it out on my MacBook pro. Sorry for not being all that helpful but I'll try.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, you can go to Bluetooth pane System Prefs and turn off BT, then in Security and Privacy under the Advanced tab disable infra red. That would turn off both.

OP>> Would that work for you or are you looking for something more permanent?