Macbook Pro repair cost guesstimate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Khurram, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Khurram macrumors 6502

My wife dropped her macbook pro 13 inch off the sofa. Everything is functioning fine but there is a nice size dent on the lower left hand corner of the body.

I know this is obviously not covered under warranty because it's accidental but anyone have an idea of how much it would cost to have the housing replaced? I'm assuming they would have to replace the entire lower housing since it's one piece.

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Is it on the bottom casing or on the side of the computer? If it is completely on the bottom casing, you could replace it yourself pretty cheaply. Link.

3. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately it's not. If the computer is open and facing you it's on the lower left corner at the edgee where the palm rest meets the left side of the housing.

4. BurningJah macrumors regular

I would do it myself! so this is what I recommend

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Lower-Case/IF163-002

I presume that you have the mid 2009 range of MBP 13" because mid 2010 doesn't have the case available! but you need to check the modelnr. of your mbp! i've you want more help just ask me!

you beat me to the point! at Ifixit you can have it all so this is what you need
    http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Mid-2009-Upper-Case/IF163-000

5. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Am I looking at the tutorial for the "upper case"?
    Also where can I order that part from?

6. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

That link was for the lower part.
    I actually need the upper part of the lower half of the computer if that makes sense.
    Let me take a picture and show you.

7. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

$149 for that bottom piece :eek:

I'm sure I seen someone on here who got the top and bottom case replaced and Apple charged £7 or something cheap like that for the bottom.

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I wouldn't buy the part from ifixit, they overcharge.

9. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is where the damage is
    [​IMG]
    the problem is it's kind of created a lifted edge going upwards which is preventing the top from closing properly.

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That doesn't look that bad at all, I, personally, wouldn't bother replacing the upper casing with that damage. It's not really worth it, IMO.

11. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Trust me, I agree 100%. The wife on the other hand is almost in tears that she's ruined her beautiful macbook.

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Ahhh, now I understand. Then you need to get that replaced ASAP.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

...If there's ever a serious problem you could always replace the upper case then. But if a serious problem doesn't materialize in the warranty period you wasted several hundred for a cosmetic problem.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

But if the OP can replace the upper case, apple will not see any damage... Yes, I know that there is a warranty sticker, but that is pretty easy to bypass... I know this, because I took the battery out of my 13" MBP, and I didn't hurt the warranty sticker right over the battery. You just need to know the way to do it.... This is the only thing that would void the OP's warranty if he were to do this repair himself.

16. Khurram thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I just found the replacement part on ebay for 150.00.

I don't want to replace it myself but there is a local guy here who i've had apple stuff repaired from before and he should be able to do it for around 50 bucks.

Ahhh...women and electronics;)

17. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Stick a Moshi Plamguard over it and you won't see the dent as much ;)

18. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Imo hammer from the inside and buff. Although, since its the unibody, I don't know the inside where the dent is looks like.