MacBook Pro repair details? 2011 video issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iOrbit, Feb 24, 2015.

1. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

July last year my macbook died. at the time i was sure it was the GPU video issue known with many MacBook Pros from Late 2011, which is the MBP i have.

but recently apple has opened up a repair program but some users are reporting that they are being turned away because its not their GPU thats died but the motherboard?

i have my repair details by the third party company "Group 8" that apple use. it says in the description for parts used in repair;

"MLB,2.2GHZ,QUAD CORE I7"

does that mean it was just my CPU/Logic Board that died, and it wasn't the GPU issue?

when i had the issue it was the "blue screen" with black vertical lines.

i was convinced it was the GPU issue though because twice iwas able to boot it to the desk top, and some suggested it was using the other GPU. wether it got to the desk top or not it would always boot to grey screen.

can anyone help me? My Apple Care runs out 2nd March next month, I'm worried that if my macbook dies again it won't be the GPU issue and apple will refuse to repair it. its worth noting that i don't do any gaming on this machine but i do a lot of video editing and re-encoding very heavily, hours at a time regularly, full speed fans. admittedly cooking it. but I'm making sure i get a Mac Mini or Pro in the future for this type of work as i know the MBP isn't quite appropriate for this use case.

2. Tolien macrumors member

If the GPU fails they have to replace the logic board. The GPU's soldered (badly) to it.