MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues (again)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macachia, May 26, 2015.

1. macachia macrumors regular

So my older 2011 macbook pro was exhibiting vertical red lines and got it repaired at the local service station. My country (Malta) doesn't have apple stores but official resellers and service stores.

They said they replaced the mlb (main logic board) as Apple is repairing them for free for certain models as described on their website. ( MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues http://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ )

Sadly, not even an hour after formatting and reinstalling everything as a clean install, my fiancee is getting problems again. It started the same last time. I attached a jpg file with this post.

Should I call Apple and complain about the shoddy repair? (even if it was free?)

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You should just call and not ask us. Just a phone call away ;)

3. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Of course. They will keep fixing it until it works - or replace it if they can't.

4. macachia thread starter macrumors regular

(i'll be calling tomorrow as it's almost 8pm here and they close at 5pm)

Replace? I thought they can only repair it as it's an outside of warranty exception recall

5. yukari macrumors regular

This seems to confirm that Apple is using the same old logic board and not a newly designed one.

6. macachia thread starter macrumors regular

don't think they will bother redesigning the logic board of a 4 year old macbook (2011)

7. scng4587 macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro 15" Late 2013 (purchased December 2013), showing the same faults with crashing unexpectedly and distorted video.

Do anyone else have issues with this model macbook pro too?

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They will still replace it if they fail to fix it 3 times...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think that is a stated policy and I don't think the GPU repair program fits into that as well. The actual repair doesn't fix the issue, it just kicks the can down the road, i.e., the GPU will fail again in the future.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There

It is unofficial policy that is followed more often than not and has been shown by a fair few members on here to be applied to their failing 2011 MBP's and many have received new rMBP's as replacements.

11. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

Clearly this was the case. Got through three LB replacements. The last one seems to be stable though, even when beating the gpu. Apple may have changed something - or it's just luck.