MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program - Worth a try?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AkramHD, Apr 19, 2018.

1. AkramHD macrumors member

So I remember seeing this page a few years ago, and it's basically an extension to the 2011-2013 Macbooks' warranty. I have a mid-2012 rMBP, and at the time of seeing the page, I was experiencing none of the included symptoms.

However, I've been experiencing all of the symptoms lately; the scrambled video on screen, the random restarts, the blank screen.

I was really happy when I remembered that this program existed, however, when I scrolled to the bottom of the page, I read "The program covers affected MacBook Pro models until December 31, 2016 or four years from its original date of sale, whichever provides longer coverage for you. The following models are no longer eligible for this program: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011), MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011) and MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011)."

Seeing as a I bought my laptop in 2012, I assume I am no longer covered?

I was wondering whether it would be worth a try to pop into my local Apple store and see if they can hook me up with a free repair, or whether I would be told to cough up the cash.

2. mastermind6192 macrumors member

mastermind6192

You can try calling AppleCare to see if they can make an exception, but its doubtful. Since you're over two years outside of their extension period there isn't much incentive for them to do anything since its been so long and your laptop is six years old. If they won't pay for it a new laptop would be in order it as the cost to repair it would be expensive and hard to justify.

3. treekram macrumors 68000