Macbook Pro Repair Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman3350, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Jman3350 macrumors member

Okay so I have 2 Macbook Pros, a 2011 15" and a 2010 15"
    The 2011 (according to apple) mobo, battery, display, (and possibly hard drive) need replacing. I don't know if the display is actually fried though. (Liquid damage to mobo via ports.) The estimated repair cost is about $1300 (via apple)
    The 2010 Macbook Pro works PERFECTLY FINE except the display + display glass is cracked. If I were to repair this through apple, its estimated cost would be $1200.

(How the hell do these cost almost the same lol)

But, what I'm asking is if anyone knows if the display connectors between 2010 + 2011 changed in macbook pros (2010 bought in April 2010 from apple.com, 2011 bought in May 2011 from apple.com). I'd also like to know if the display could get fried/non-operational from liquid spilling through all the ports (except charger port) on the left side of the computer. If it didn't I'd like to try to do this repair myself.

2. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I suggest you go to www.ifixit.com and check which part numbers they list for screens for each of your laptops. If they match - you can try swapping the potentially working monitor from one in place of the cracked one.

As for liquid damage, it is possible that it got damaged, especially if the computer was on when the damage occurred. Depends also if it was clean water or something more destructive like seawater or a sweet drink. Does not hurt to try, your warranty is busted either way.

3. Jman3350 thread starter macrumors member

Well the warranty won't be busted, its just its an out of warranty repair.

Arizona Iced Tea spilled in it (it was on, but turned it off quick. It then turned back on and shut down fast and didn't turn back on. Going to try switching the batteries first, since I know the liquid one doesn't work.

4. Jman3350 thread starter macrumors member

By the way, checked the model number and they are both Model No. A1286. As long as my display works on my 2011, I should be able to "make" a working one, correct?

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The display and display glass should be between $200-$300 to fix. $100 if you do it yourself, but without the proper environment it'll likely be filled with dust. I recommend a matte bezel instead of the glass, even if you are getting a glossy screen. This way you do not have dust particles sitting between the glass and LCD.

The motherboard should have component level repair attempted before replacing it with a new one. Those quotes are astronomical, but that's Apple for you. Most motherboards are salvageable and live long, happy lives after simple repairs are performed on them.

The LCD for all A1286 Macbook Pros are pin for pin compatible. Some are glossy, matte, low res, high res, but are all compatible. The full assemblies are different from year to year however.

I have seen four LCDs go bad from liquid damage on over 2000 spill damaged laptops. It is very rare unless the liquid was poured directly on the screen.

----------

If by display you mean LCD, yes.

If by display you mean LCD assembly, putting a 2011 one on a 2010 will work, but there will be an extra wire for the wifi that goes nowhere. Just cut it off and you will be fine.

6. Jman3350 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! :)

But what I was going to try to do was to clean off my motherboard, and all internal parts of my computer, and replace the 2011 battery with the 2010 (since I know that the 2011 battery does not work, or doesn't register a charge or the battery indicator lights don't work) before doing a display replacement. When I talked to apple about the displays being compatible the guy said it was completely impossible for it to be compatible and that there was 0 chance that it would happen.

Also, the liquid did not touch the screen. It went through the USB, Ethernet, Firewire, Headphone + Microphone, SD card slot, and whatever the heck else is on the left side of the computer (besides charger port as that was covered at the time)

Thanks for all your help. If you have any more to offer, please do :D