Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Ok, so I sent my 2-day old MBP out for a new HDD (Apple store is 4 hours away) on Aug 21...today is Sept 2 and it is still at "On hold - Part on order! WTF? I have been very patient with Apple, and am sure they're busy but come on...almost 2 weeks for a HDD?!:rolleyes: I am giving them 24 hours before I call and ask for a brand new replacement. I hate to say this but Dell would have had my laptop back to me in 3 days.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I would call them. It happens from time to time that your system got out of the queue. I had this problem with my PowerBook G4. It turns out that it had been ready for two days, but their testing machine had gone down so they couldn't run a battery of tests that were standard before returning the machine. They were just getting it back up and running when I called, and they overnighted my PowerBook from Texas to Michigan, and the next morning, it was in my hands.

TEG

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Thanks for the quick response TEG. I actually have called them every other day...same old story: "Well this could take up to XXXX days to fix". It sucks

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Call and keep moving up until you get a supervisor, then ask for his supervisor, then tell them to fix your machine and overnight it back. Be polite but firm. Sound disappointed. Point out that its 2 days old (why didn't you just send it back for a refund and buy another one...?). You may get a larger hd as compensation.

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
why did you send a 2 day old computer in for repair? if anything is even remotely "not right", let alone completely inoperative within 14 days of purchase, i tell them to give me a new one...

mjb

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Well my mom got it for me at an Apple store in Tucson. It died on me in las cruces 2 days later. I'm definately gonna ask for a new one now. This sucks!!

winty03

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Ya get a replacement. I purchased a MBP from the site and received it with a scratched lid, they said o we don't do anything with cosmetic repairs. I said o, ok that’s fine....then I don't want it. They said o we can send you out a new one. Sent out a new one...now the key "G" was damaged, happened to be the weekend I was going to or near an apple store so I took it in. They said, don’t repair it, get a new one. 3rd MBP came and has been perfect since March. So I would call and say keep your MBP without a hard drive and I want a new one shipped out, if not I want a refund. Don't need to be mean or out of control, but tell them this is uncalled for, that you could have went and bought the hard drive and replaced it faster than they have provided service to a new customer that bought a $3k notebook. Totally uncalled for, you have been EXTREMELY patient with them!

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Thanks for the suggestions guys...however, I checked the status and now it says: "Product return pending (03-Sep-2008)" :rolleyes:. What do you think I should do now?

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
So I just got off the phone with the CS person and they told me that it is in final testing...I told her that I have to have this ship tonight if not I need a replacement. She said to call back around 6pm my time. What I'm going to do is call around 3pm and check, if it hasn't shipped I'm asking for a replacement right then and there!

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I know. I have them on the line now:rolleyes:....I am about to tell them I need a replacement at my doorstep tomorrow morning....crap they just picked up!

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
WOW!! This is crazy! They say that they cant get a replacement to me overnight! I need this by tomorrow morning, I work with this and have to have it! She's giving me a very hard time with this ordeal. I'm currently waiting to speak to a supervisor.:confused:

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
So I talked to the supervisor. She told me that it finished the final test and personally told me it would be here tomorrow. She said she'd call me tomorrow to make sure. I'm going to be pissed if it doesnt show up here tomorrow...I'm even going into work late:mad:

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
if i was in your position, i'd make them know that you patiently waited over 2 weeks for them to make a simple repair to a BRAND NEW machine and as such you'd like them to discount the purchase price (e.g. refurb price) for your trouble.... that's if it shows tomorrow, if not, tell them to immediately credit your card the full purchase price and get the confirmation number.

remember, apple is not a friend who you need to feel bad for...it's a huge profitable company making a huge margin on its hardware (compared to the others)... if something isn't working the way it should be, make it their problem, not yours.

mjb

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
if i was in your position, i'd make them know that you patiently waited over 2 weeks for them to make a simple repair to a BRAND NEW machine and as such you'd like them to discount the purchase price (e.g. refurb price) for your trouble.... that's if it shows tomorrow, if not, tell them to immediately credit your card the full purchase price and get the confirmation number.

remember, apple is not a friend who you need to feel bad for...it's a huge profitable company making a huge margin on its hardware (compared to the others)... if something isn't working the way it should be, make it their problem, not yours.

mjb

Very true.

UPDATE: I called in to apple (because I took work off to wait, and wanted to make sure if it would actually show:rolleyes:) and was once again let down! They informed me that it hadn't left the facility like I was told it was going to...so now I missed a couple of hours of work and don't have my MBP. I again asked to speak to a supervisor, he said apple cannot accommodate me in any way, but that it IS shipping out today and he will personally see to it! At this point I AM FURIOUS!:mad: I hung up and drove out to work.

Well when I got here I had a message waiting for me from apple. He told me he looked into when I bought the MBP (which I already told him:rolleyes:) and that it worries him to see that a new machine is already having major isssues (a HDD replacement is major:confused:). He said my request for a new machine is a wise idea and he would like to get this out today! I am waiting for a call back from him...the only thing is that I replaced my RAM with 4GB, I need to let then know that they need to add 2 more GB, or take the 4GB out of my old one and put them into the new one.

So that is where we are right now...I'll continue to post results as they happen. Thanks for the tips guys!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
It sounds like there is more going on than a simple Hard Drive replacement. They may have found something else wrong, maybe with the Logicboard, and the part they were waiting on was a new Logicboard, or another component. When you talk to him next, ask him what was found wrong, since you just sent it in for a new hard drive.

TEG

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
They had mentioned just the HDD, I'll ask him what else they found wrong after they put the order in for the new MBP:cool:

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
Lol, get this!

So I've been calling this guy like crazy...no answer. That is ok because he told me he only has an couple times a day he can make outgoing calls. Well, THE LAPTOP SHOWED UP (my brother happened to be home to sign for it, I went back to work 30 minutes away from my house!!) He reports it as being in the facility still! I'm sure at this point he is going to back out of replacing it...whats going on:confused:

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
Lol, get this!

So I've been calling this guy like crazy...no answer. That is ok because he told me he only has an couple times a day he can make outgoing calls. Well, THE LAPTOP SHOWED UP (my brother happened to be home to sign for it, I went back to work 30 minutes away from my house!!) He reports it as being in the facility still! I'm sure at this point he is going to back out of replacing it...whats going on:confused:

I'm sorry; I didn't understand what you were just saying. You got your laptop, but you don't have it??

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
I'm sorry; I didn't understand what you were just saying. You got your laptop, but you don't have it??

I got the old one back, but he doesn't think I have it though! The supervisor told me it was still being repaired and that it would ship out today...well it supposedly shipped out last night, so I got it today. But it gets even better!!...

So I drive back home (30miles) to open the box. When I turn it on there are now about 5-6 dead pixels in the bottom right hang corner:eek:. Whats going on? I know this is not the "Normal" experience?!?! I call him again, and finally get him on the line. He said we will still proceed with replacing the computer. So basically right now I have a computer that I cant use cause I'm gonna have to ship it back...this sucks!

I kind of feel sorry for apple because I know this is not the way things are suppose to go, but so far my experience with them has been HORRIFIC!:mad: I hope in the end all turns out well. If not I'm going to have to ask for a refund.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Go ask for a replacement at the Apple store; don't send it back in.

And please use multiquotes. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.