Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wtremmel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Germany
Hi,

my 2.5 year old MacBook pro is being repaired because of a failed Nvidia graphics chip. Repair is free which is nice.

When bringing it in they gave me an estimated repair time of 3-5 days, repair would be in-store. Today is day 6 so I thought I give the Apple Store a call to ask for an estimated time when I get my MacBook back.

Now: They told me on the phone they are not allowed give me an estimated time to repair *because its a secret if they have the parts on stock*?

Anybody else have similar experience? The repair status page only shows "repair in progress" and I really would like to know when I get my MacBook back...

Wolfgang

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
*because its a secret if they have the parts on stock*

Translation: I am too busy right now to go and look up the status of your repair.

No secret conspiracy, just an unmotivated tech.

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
I had mine repaired about half a year ago for the same reason. They sent it to Houston, Texas and I got it back two days later early in the morning.

I see you're from Germany. Did you go to an Apple Store or a reseller?

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Remember, if you brought it into a Premium Reseller store (like Re:Store), they most likely do not have the part in stock, and have to order it from Apple. It takes up to 48 hours to get the part.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
my mbp was in recently for broken hinges

it was put on hold after diagnosis to wait for parts. Nobody at Apple knew how long parts would take to get there. I'd call it more cluelessness then secretness. They had no way to find out when the part would get there.

wtremmel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Germany
I see you're from Germany. Did you go to an Apple Store or a reseller?

We have three Apple Stores in Germany and one is in Frankfurt where I live. So I went there. Diagnosis at Genius Bar was done quickly and I was happy to hear that repair is free.

And the guy on the phone really said that he is not allowed to tell me if the parts have arrived yet or if they are still waiting and how long it takes.

wtremmel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Germany
To close this - I got my MacBook Pro back on Friday, so total repair time was 10 days (8 working days).

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
To close this - I got my MacBook Pro back on Friday, so total repair time was 10 days (8 working days).

It's never guaranteed, but I have a home here in Munich as well as in UK. The Munich store is ridiculously efficient, took it In for a new display, they took it In on Monday, I picked it up on Wednesday. Fantastic service. It's always busy there with people buying computers, or kids on the iPods. Genius bar is never busy.

Ahh germans are so efficient :D

wtremmel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Germany
Genius bar is never busy.

Lucky you. In Frankfurt the Genius Bar is so busy that on Friday I could get the next reservation for Wednesday - and forget it if you turn up without one (to be fair, I could hand in and get back my Macbook without a reservation, but I had to wait about 30 minutes each time).

activerog

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Mine, 2 weeks tomorrow. Took it to the local Apple store. Logic board replacement.

Had a fare on board (I drive taxis) that worked for the other Apple store at Robina, he said if people knew how unreliable these machines were they'd think twice about buying them.

Got to say, love the look and feel of my 13" 2010 macbook pro. Runs nice, looks stunning, top keyboard, love the display. Shame the electronics inside doesn't reflect the quality of the rest of the machine though.

Hi,

my 2.5 year old MacBook pro is being repaired because of a failed Nvidia graphics chip. Repair is free which is nice.

When bringing it in they gave me an estimated repair time of 3-5 days, repair would be in-store. Today is day 6 so I thought I give the Apple Store a call to ask for an estimated time when I get my MacBook back.

Now: They told me on the phone they are not allowed give me an estimated time to repair *because its a secret if they have the parts on stock*?

Anybody else have similar experience? The repair status page only shows "repair in progress" and I really would like to know when I get my MacBook back...

Wolfgang

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.