Macbook Pro repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andiwm2003, Jan 12, 2016.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Does anyone know how much it costs to replace the logic board of a 15" mid 2010 macbook pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7 with dedicated Nvidia GPU?

I have the random shut down issue due to the Nvidia chip failing. I don't want to throw the MBP away and if the replacement is not too expensive it might just be worth it. I know that it will fail again but if i get 2 years out of it for 500 bucks i might just do it.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Talk to AppleCare, or take to a "genius"
    You may get it shipped to a repair center, for a "flat-rate" repair, which is around $350.
    (You should specifically ask about the flat-rate repair - Apple should tell you if you are eligible for that program)
    That will include repairs that would be hardware failures covered by warranty, after the warranty has expired.
    You would have to decide for yourself if even that is worth spending on a 5-year-old laptop.

3. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

2 years for $500 isn't the best of values

spend twice that and you can buy a refurb macbook air which is a much better machine

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks that is helpful. 350 might be worth it. i always have a new and a old backup machine around. and 350 for a secondary machine is not too expensive. a MBA wold be 1200 or so. I need a TB in the primary laptop and i like to have it as fast as possible so that i don't have the hassle of upgrading (i know, i know but looking at the last 20 years that's how i always ended up doing it)