Macbook Pro Replaced 4 times

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RoastingPig, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoastingPig, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014

RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

First i know im going to be depicted as that person that we all hate but i went ahead and bought a second Late 13inch macbook pro retina i5/8gb/256/intel 5100. This was was going to be a gift to my brother for his birthday. When i received the macbook one of the first things i did was check the ssd manufacturer and it read sandisk.

First off some people are fine with the sandisk controller but im not. I have owned a plenty of samsung ssd's and not one of them has ever crapped out on me. Currently Running 4 840 pro in pegasus r4 in raid 5 and there as fast as day one. Even my intial samsung 470 is running tip top in a 2008 imac to this day. But that one sandisk ridden ssd i had crapped out on me so hard back in 2011 that i banished that brand from ever being housed in 1 of my computers.

Has anyone gone through this? i drove all over l.a today to 3 different apple stores to not seem so shady with my exchanges. even tho going to a different store every time makes it all that more shaddier.

1 of the 3 sandisk ssd's today was reading 400 write and 600 read which was total horse **** compared to the 750 read and writes im getting in my samsung one. I can easily tell the difference if im loading or offloading big project to my external raid by thunderbolt.

2. yjchua95, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm also one of those not fine with the SD0256F, it's 150MB/s slower in writes than the SM0256F.

The difference is also noticeable, if slight. My iMac 21.5" with an SM0256F boots up about 3 seconds faster than another identical iMac with SD0256F. In video operations, the SM0256F iMac is also faster by around 20%.

When I got myself a new 13" rMBP, I went for a 512GB SSD so that I didn't have to enter the SD/SM lottery.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well i had the sandisk ssd on my early 2013 i went through one replacement during my 14 day period and that to was a sandisk. It was all fine then suddenly developed 2-3 bad sectors and few weeks later when my logic board died. The ssd would not detect. Anyways apples mailing me a replacement late 2013 just hope its a samsung.

4. phositadc macrumors 6502

Just chiming in to say I feel your pain. Ridiculous that Apple uses different components that have such a significant performance difference. Shouldn't be a lottery to get the best SSD. They should either just use one part or they should use parts with equivalent performance.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I guess the only reasonable solution for you is to not buy a MBP, and send an email to Tim Cook explaining why you are not a customer anymore (who knows, it might help).

My 2011 MBP had a Toshiba (replaced with Samsung 830), and my new rMBP has a SD SSD. In both cases I was a bit disappointed that I only got the second best option. But it wasn't a reason for me to return the machine. I wouldn't accept a bad screen on the other hand.

Apple is usually quite picky with its suppliers, but also known to rely on multiple sources to be less dependent. This is reasonable. I would assume that they have some minimum performance requirements for their components, and that both the sandisk and samsung SSDs satisfy these criteria. So in any case we get a very good SSD. I guess Apple could throttle the Samsung SSDs to make things look more equal, but thankfully they don't do it.

In the end I think it is better to accept that there are small differences between formally identical macs, than to frustrate yourself and others with the endless search for the perfect machine.
    I've seen threads by people who after several replacements finally were happy with their screen, only to find a small nick in the case and again return or replace the machine... I think in the end you only hurt yourself if you obsess about it too much.

6. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

In what world is that a "reasonable solution"? :eek:

7. accountforit macrumors 6502a

In this world. Why should anyone pay and settle for a product they aren't happy with?

I, too, think it's ridiculous that Apple is using so many different parts to compile the same computer. You have the screen and SSD lottery; what else? I am sure the inferior differences were known by Apple well before the product hit the market.

8. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

PC manufacturers do this (source parts from different suppliers) all the time. In fact, there are lots of cases of this in manufacturing of all kinds. I'm sorry that you think it's ridiculous, but it's standard operating procedure in operations.

As for people settling for a product they don't like, of course. He can choose to go with another brand. But as per the above, he's going to run into the same issue with others.

What I think is absurd was the suggestion of writing to Tim Cook. That's an utter waste of time on both sides of the letter.

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Oh, forgive me. I didn't realize that because someone else takes the same course of action, that justifies the action. I saw a crackhead today on my way to work. Smoking crack must be a justified action as well huh?

Subcontracting parts from various suppliers isn't the issue. The issue is accepting inferior variations in products and passing those variations along to customers. We all pay the same amount, essentially, so no one person should get less than another.

10. Alag28 macrumors 6502

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Hit the about this mac in the apple menu then hit more info, then hit system report, go to the storage listing on the left side and hit the hard drive of your computer. It will tell you somewhere in that info what brand (my current macbook pro has a hitachi drive. Never thought hitachi had a good reputation but my computer is 4 years old and still going. Though apparently I noticed they got bought out a few years back by Western Digital who I always had good luck with, but that was after this computer was made).

Of course, now you guys are making me paranoid as I'm getting a rMBP whenever it gets to the apple store (was supposed to be today but got delayed til friday). And I don't want to be that person (I kinda wish it wasn't so easy to figure out what hard drive it had, now I'm going to be paranoid and if I get the sandisk one it's going to bug me, I just know it. I'd probably be happier not knowing honestly).

12. twingo macrumors regular

You replaced 4 times too much.
    If you had real work to do with your macbook, you would not bother about the brand of a component.
    There was no problem, until you made one.

13. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

Nice try, but your analogy sucks. First off, smoking crack isn't a standard. In fact, it's the exception, not the rule. You'll be hard pressed to come up with an example of something virtually everyone does that is also evil or, to use your words, "not justified."

More to the point, the reason most manufacturers do this is very well justified. It keeps costs down, which benefits the consumer. It ensures supply shortages don't occur, which benefits the consumer. It promotes competition, which benefits the consumer. The "cost"—some minor differences in performance or quality, all of which the consumer can deal with (in the case of Apple) by playing the "lottery" as people have called it—is small.

That's a very sanctimonious point of view that, once again, doesn't line up well with reality under scrutiny. There's a limited number of manufacturers. It's impractical (and not cost effective) to have extra QC at the part level before assembly. And, when a PC manufacturer like Apple gets enough complaints or problems with a certain supplier's part, do you really believe that nothing happens?

It's great to have a utopian view and all, but here in the real world, things are quite a bit more complicated.

----------

Easy solution: don't bother to check. Seriously, these differences will not matter to 90%+ of consumers. It's the kind of stuff that adds up in benchmarks but rarely makes a big difference in real-world stuff, and even when it is perceptible, the difference in productivity is negligible.

Bothering to check when it's of no consequence is the same sort of self-destructive behavior of people who check their investments on a daily basis and then worry. It's dumb, and experts agree you shouldn't do it...so why do it?

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Why golly, I didn't think of that... maybe just maybe the fact that I conceded that I wish I didn't know acknowledges the fact I know I'd be happier not checking. Problem is, I also know my personality, you tell me there is a difference and I'm going to feel compelled to check. I guess you don't ever feel compelled to do anything to not understand how that works (you actively have to fight your impulse to go look). Hence, I wish I didn't know there was an issue because then I wouldn't feel compelled to check and I agree with you, I'd probably not even notice if I didn't know there was a difference in the first place.

Also, my worry more is about reliability since it's not upgradeable and the fact some one pointed out they have issues with reliability with that brand. Then again, I have a Hitachi in my current macbook and I know they don't have a good rep (and it's lasted 4 years so far... watch this, it will die now on me. Course since I get my new computer in a few days, wouldn't be horrible timing).

15. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Another point to note is that Apple may well have stipulated a read/write speed of say 450MB/s.
    So it isn't a case of getting an inferior part, it is some people get more than they paid for.

Barney

16. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

I definitely got some Schadenfreude out of this.

Serves you right for indeed being one of "those people".

17. RoastingPig, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014

RoastingPig thread starter macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i don't care im going to get what i want especially at the price of 1500$. im not going to settle for inferior parts and image retention for the sake of not being called a whiny little bastard. im tired of this ************ apple quality control.

plus i already have a macbook retina. might i ad a perfect one. so why should i settle for any less of the same machine. The other was for a gift. so if i have to play the even exchange lottery i'll do it.

and for the other guy you can Schadenfreude your m:eek:m

18. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

I wasn't berating you at all. I was just making a suggestion for your happiness. Maybe do something to make a contract with yourself? For example, agree that if you check that you'll donate $100 to whichever political party you detest more? Studies have shown that those sort of "binding" mechanisms can be very effective.

----------

Ahhh, the entitlement mentality. I knew it would eventually emerge! This is why so many PC users roll their eyes at so many Mac users.

It's cute how you insist this is an issue with QC, when there's no systematic evidence to indicate that QC is a problem.

I'm now Schadenfreudeing myself.

19. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Except your error in thought is accepting the fact that Apple put that part on work orders before production began. You wouldn't need to add additional QC if you weren't accepting inferior parts to begin with.

To each their own. You are ok with accepting playing the lottery, and possibly getting the lower end of what is available, when buying MacBooks, while many others aren't. That still doesn't mean it's acceptable behavior. The only way a consumer can speak is by spending their money elsewhere. Otherwise, the trend will continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.