MacBook Pro Replacement under Apple Care - "Entry level new" for "Top of line old"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shatil, Sep 9, 2009.

1. shatil macrumors newbie

Hi all:
    My late 2006 MacBook Pro 15" (MA610LL) was sent for repairs two weeks ago. After two weeks of diagnostics (read "trial and error"), they decided to give me a replacement.

Old MacBook Pro specs: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP24

The replacement that they are offering is the new 2.53 GHz model. Looking at Apple Store website, this is the entry level MacBook Pro while mine was, at the time of purchase, the higher end version.

I am really glad that Apple is offering me a replacement. But I am wondering if it is the typical apple policy to match the specifications? Should I try to get a higher model?

The main concern I have is that my old laptop had a dedicated 256MB graphics memory. Over the phone, the genius told me that the model they are offering me also has dedicated memory but their website differs.

Also, is it at all possible to get a 13" model as a replacement?

2. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

I think their policy is that it must be less or equal to the equivelant machine that needs replacing. Im not sure if that fits the bill of your machine, but i think it should do, taking into account that tech prices have fallen, for CPU's, HHD's, GFX cards n such. and also apple bringing the prices down recently. The 9400m in the 15" lower model, is a dedicated card, i.e its not the intel GMA series which frankly was rather rubbish!

I think also so long as the price for a 13" equals the price for your old machine, then it should be ok. I would suggest asking the guy/gal on the phone though to check, if it works out to be less, they might give ya the difference back! although this is apple, so i wouldnt count on it!!

PTP

3. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I suppose it never hurts to ask. But I would think Apple's policy would be to replace with a machine that best matches the specs of your old laptop, which is what this machine will do. Won't you also be getting a bigger hard drive and more RAM?

4. shatil thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, and I am really glad apple is giving me a brand new laptop.

Can any one confirm that the new 9400M is a dedicated graphics memory like the ATI X1600 is for the MA610LL?

Their website says regarding the new models:
    Would the MBP with 9400M still be a fair replacement for the MA610LL?

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The MBP with 9400M does not have any dedicated memory. It uses the system's memory. While the 9400M is at the very least as fast as your old GPU, I would press Apple for a model with the 9600M GT as it's a more direct replacement for your current MBP.

6. goMac macrumors 603

The 9400M does not have dedicated graphics memory but they are comparable in speed.

7. shatil thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-X1600.2163.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9400M-G.11949.0.html

X1600 wins at:
    3DMark 2001
    3DMark 2003
    3DMark 2005
    F.E.A.R. min resulation
    Doom 3 low resolution
    Doom 3 mid resolution

9400M wins at:
    3DMark 2006
    F.E.A.R. med resolution
    F.E.A.R. max resolution
    Doom 3 high resolution
    Doom 3 ultra resolution

So would it be fair to say that 9400M does not necessarily match X1600 for all scenarios? X1600 is still better at lower resolution games and older 3DMark benchmarks.

8. neosferatu macrumors newbie

i choose old top of the line with dedicated graphic card, if i were me.

wouldn't want to trade 15.4 for 13 also...
    cause i hardly travel with my mbp :)

9. oregon2 macrumors regular

I would take the new machine. Though not dedicated, you will be getting similar performance, and most importantly you get the unibody and new components all around.

10. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yup. The graphics are comparable to your old MBP, and the screen, construction, etc. are better, but you might want to press for the $2000 one (I assume you paid at least that much for your old MBP?).

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If Apple is offering the low-end MBP from the current generation, they will usually allow you to pay the difference to get the better version.

Otherwise, I would get a slightly older MBP wit the 9600GT over the newer one without...

12. iaddict macrumors 6502

I believe it is like model

My nephew had a Powerbook, 15" that ended up being repaired several times, the last time the hard drive fried and Apple ended up paying to retrieve data that was lost plus gave him a new 15" MacBook Pro with same specs as far as RAM. It was not without a fight, but he kept pressing the issue with them.