Macbook Pro replacement - when do you cross the line?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, Jul 1, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hello,

I've read around these boards that there is a "three times" replacement policy for macbook pros on this board. My question is how rigidly this is followed. Specifically, if you sent in an old macbook pro for first time applecare repairs that needed a new screen, lid, logic board, mousepad, and even keyboard, would they replace the unit? Has anyone been in this situation?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Your mileage will vary

There are so many factors to consider... every situation is unique
    So is the personnel involved

Nobody will be able to answer your questions definitively about this except for Apple

Your best bet is to document and be firm... but polite and courteous

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

On odd occasions, if you send in your portable for repair and then they find a lot of defects or fault, they might go ahead and just send you a new portable - it has happened. But in order to get a replacement, you need to have a repair done on the same problem 3 times. Having multiple faults doesn't entitle you to one but it wouldn't hurt to call up CSR explaining your situation.

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I've had mine replace twice, although the second was out-of-warranty. (They did significantly discount that replacement, though.)

5. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

was yours replaced before you sent in your computer 3 times? Has anyone had their computer replaced on the first attempt?

6. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

They replaced my computer when it burned me. It was a hassle though. It took about four calls.

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

My uMBP has had two logic board replacements, battery cover replacement, clutch replacement, and both fans have been replaced. But the computer hasn't been replaced. Over 2 grand in replacement parts, not including labor. Neato.

So yes, you mileage will definitely vary.

8. Cavanboy18 macrumors regular

this is my story. i had the old new 17" unibody. the screen was bowed but i was in college and needed it for the time being. so when i got a break i took it in to apple. they said they would replace the screen after some hassling. I go to pick up my mbp and take it hom 3 days later. when i get home i find out my airport card was not transfered over. so i call them back they say come back today i say no i am tired and have things todo. i come in 2 days later when i set up my appointment. they tell me they lost my airport card and dont have 1 in stock. at this point i am a tad pissed. he says you can either leave the laptop here and will fix some issues with your os while the card is being delivered or they will call me back. i reply how about you just exchange my laptop? he goes and asks the manager i end up with the newer model that came out in june wwdc. :) but this story might seem all happy and whatnot but 2/3 geniuses i dealt with while servicing my laptop were complete *******s.

9. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

how did it burn you? and who did you need to call? did you make these calls while the computer was sent for repair at apple or did you make these calls beforehand?

10. amoda macrumors 6502a

I just had my previous gen unibody replaced (is actually arriving at Apple today, mine is on the way) on the first try.

I, however, had a history. The one arriving will now be my fourth MacBook Pro in 4 years. The first two had TONS of problems, my third started failing again so I emailed Apple (sjobs@apple.com).

At first I was told that no replacement can be made, but then recieved a phone call the next day. Apparently Apple was conducting a test on MBPs that had the same issue as mine so engineering wanted a sample and voila a replacement was in order.

11. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

fyi everyone

so the reason i was asking the question was because my own MBP was in for repair and there were so many issues that while minor, warranted replacement of most of the parts of the macbook pro. Specifically here's what they replaced instead of replacing the entire computer:

-display
    - upper hinge
    - keyboard
    - speaker grille/top case
    - mouse
    - sleep light
    - logic board (wrong voltage sensor)
    - logic board (nvidia video issue)

It boggles my mind that they would replace these instead of simply replacing the computer. But then again, perhaps they don't want a flood of people sending their computers back hoping for replacements....

12. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I had an Rev A Air, and the following occured:

(1) screen w/ dead pixels - Replaced with another Rev A
    (2) Hard Drive Error, self deleting - Replaced with another Rev A
    (3) Trackpad was stuck, Bezel was being scratched by Trackpad - Replaced the entire aluminum shell.
    (4) Air came back with a broken hinge - said they would replaced it, but I opted to wait until the summer b/c I needed it for school.
    (5) About a few weeks later, the screen had a huge issue with black lines appearing everywhere - Apple wanted to replace basically the entire inside of the machine because they didn't know what the issue was.

This is where I drew the line and "forced" them to issue a replacement. It took several hours on the phone and I had to go up the "chain of command." They tried to pull that 3 times for the same issue nonsense, but it was ridiculous. Computers of their caliber and cost should not be that defective, period. Tell them that, and how you spend money on the best and expect as such...etc...etc...just don't give in, and they likely will.

I then got a Rev B Air.

(6) Line issue - Replaced by another Rev B
    (7) Line issue again - Replaced by Macbook Pro (and happy ever since).